WiFi Calling On iPhone's

• @Virtual-Mirag
    So instead of doing it by device I just port forwarded the router. Yes, it is security concern but I have enough controls and other security in place I will take that chance.. So your source and dest are the same port #

• @Jeff-Phillips Did you do that by using the gateway IP in the port forwarding (aka, the router IP)?

• @Virtual-Mirage You must create a port forwarding rule for each device and each port separately. Every device will have one rule for port 500 UDP and another for 4500 UDP. Ports are static, so devices will use port 500, and not go up in numbers.

• @iamaydo That's what I initially thought and that's how I had it setup, but support is telling me that I shouldn't do that and told me to delete the port forwarding for one of my devices.

I initially had IP1 set to port forward across two ports. Source set to 500 and 4500, destination set to 500 and 4500. Both UDP. I then had IP2 set the same way.

• @Virtual-Mirage I would certainly recommend the port forwarding, for most users it has had some positive result. We are still working on this issue and if you have support files that will speed up a resolution! Thanks!

• @UI-AmpliFi I am confused. Should I leave the port forward setup for both devices set to the same ports or not? I am getting conflicting answers on here versus whoever is working on my support ticket is telling me what to do. I already submitted support files last week and PM'd you about it but I am not sure if it is you or if it is different support person that is e-mailing me.

• @UI-AmpliFi Did you receive my support files? I have an open case/ticket #264603 and was asked to T/S by changing around settings on my 5GHz band SSID, but I'm thinking that is probably just a general support T/S flow and not specific to this issue.

• @Virtual-Mirage Yes - I used the router internal IP

• I'm also having trouble with Wi-Fi calling being very sporadic. I have two iPhone X's and I'm using Verizon FiOS for my Internet only. No cable modem just the amplifi alien. IOS is 14.0.1 on both. When I try to make a FaceTime or Wifi call on my MAC (hardwired to Amplifi Alien) I get a message Wi-Fi calling is not set up on this network. It does work sometimes but not other times. Mac OS is Catalina 10.15.7
    If I need to set up a port forward to get reliability could someone help me step-by-step?
    Thanks

• @Virtual-Mirage Yes, leave the port forwarding rules enabled for both devices. And yes, both devices must be set to the same port. Ports don't change per device, they actually almost never change, for instance DNS uses port 53 and has been the same for as long as I remember. Your port forwarding rules should look like the picture 0_1601397084712_CC38952B-E86F-4C91-A309-008A0351A3FF_1_201_a.jpeg

• @Craig-Fabian First, give the device(s) a static IP or static lease, see Creating a Static Lease. Then follow the guide Configuring Port Forwarding. Make sure you setup a new rule per device, per port. See the screenshot below.

0_1601397506323_CC38952B-E86F-4C91-A309-008A0351A3FF_1_201_a.jpeg

• @iamaydo That's exactly how I had mine setup before support told me not to. The conflicting advice is making it confusing, even for someone like me whose career has been in IT for 20 years. In my current career being more of a management role now, I don't deal with the ports and IP configurations on a day to day basis anymore. But I felt pretty confident that my original setup was done correctly. Then when support came back via e-mail and said don't do that. I am not as familiar with their interface nor how their router functions behind the scenes, so it made me second guess myself. lol I guess I should have stuck to my gut, but I will wait a little bit and see what support responds with.

• @iamaydo Thank you so much for the help that really did the trick. For right now Wi-Fi calling is working if it goes sporadic I'll report back but thank you.

• @iamaydo Can you explain how port forwarding could possibly be achieved when there are duplicate rules setup for the same externally facing port? If you have one public IP address then how could you possibly map the same port to multiple internal IP addresses? This would cause a broadcast storm, would it not? I understand that the UI allows for this, but it breaks the fundamental rule of how port mapping (forwarding) works...one external port per public IP to one subsequent device IP and port map.

• @mears148 100% agree. It isn't possible to forward the same external port to multiple internal addresses. I'm sure the underlying software would reject this invalid NAT configuration, so it must be a bug that the GUI "allows" it (unless Ubiquiti has a new secret RFC ready for release! 😆).

If I had to guess it probably only forwards the first entry that was added to the list and silently ignores any duplicates. Either that or each additional entry just overwrites the previous one. Not sure what it would do after a reboot.

If port forwarding is required for Wi-Fi calling to work, it should be using UPNP.

• @Jared-J-Fernandez From what I have found it looks like WiFi Calling uses an IPSec VPN tunnel over UDP ports 500/4500 and shouldn't require any inbound ports to be opened because it is the phone that is establishing the outbound tunnel. If that’s true then maybe that is an area for the AMPLIFI Team to investigate. Is there a reason that a tunnel might be potentially be flakey on the Alien? Just something to consider I guess, for a lack of any other ideas. I refer to my original best guess of it being a UPnP implementation or handling issue on the Alien. Perhaps it is struggling with negotiations when their are multiple devices contending for the same port to be opened inbound?

• @mears148 Good find! Makes sense because I had noticed the duplicate port forwarding issue since I already had 500 forwarded to my internal IPSec VPN server.

AT&T mentions that if "IPSec pass-through" is disabled that will prevent Wi-Fi calling from working. I don't see an option for this on the Amplifi app, so if protocol 51 datagrams are somehow being blocked on the inbound by default that could explain this behavior.

I do also have dual-stack IPv6 on my network so it could also be an issue with UPnP IGD over IPv6. I don't believe that iPhones allow the IPv6 stack to be disabled any longer, but when I have a chance I will try and disable it on the Alien side and see if it makes a difference.

• The wifi calling has been working better on my iphone 7 since setting up the port forwarding over a week ago. I wanted to bring up an important note related to this issue with iOS 14. In iOS 14, there is a new feature that's auto-enabled in the Wifi settings called "Use Private Address". It basically just randomizes your MAC address on a daily basis. For obvious reasons, you will need to disable this setting if you are creating a static lease for your phone.

• @kurupt It is interesting that you mentioned the Use Private Address feature on iOS 14. I didn't even know that was something that they added, let alone that they enable it by default. I checked my phone and saw that it was enabled. I then compared my currently assigned IP to the static IP I originally assigned to the phone and they are different. So my phone is currently not getting any of the port forwarding. Strangely, though, my WiFi calling has been working fine the past few days.

I was on iOS 14 since the first day they released it earlier this month, but was even having issues late August before the release. A few days ago I updated to iOS 14.0.1, which I haven't had any known WiFi Calling issues since then. But I am not holding my breath since when I do have WiFi calling issues I can sometimes go a few days or more without issues or it may decide to happen multiple times in a day. Meanwhile, my wife's phone doesn't seem to be experiencing the same issues. Of course, she isn't using her phone for calls nowhere near as much as I use mine. But her iPhone X is still on iOS 13.7.

• Seeing all these posts about Wi-Fi calling is it just on Apple devices i.e. iPhones, iPads, MacBooks etc. or is there an issue with android-based phones as well?