WiFi Calling On iPhone's

• @Chris-Rushton on your iPhones, have you updated both of them to the latest version of iOS 13.5.1 AND reset the Network Settings (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings)? That last also updates the drivers for your iPhones’ cellular modems and Wi-Fi chipsets, which may help with your Wi-Fi calling issues.

• Even though not public yet, iOS 13.6 has these two items in the "Golden Master" release notes:

• Addresses an issue that could interrupt audio when making phone calls over Wi-Fi Calling
    • Fixes an issues that prevented some ‌iPhone‌ 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi Calling

Installing it now, seeing if it makes any difference.

• @Steven-Tellman said in WiFi Calling On iPhone's:

ugh not public yet, iOS 13.6 has these two items in the "Golden Master" release notes:

Addresses an issue that could interrupt audio when making phone calls over Wi-Fi Calling

Fixes an issues that prevented some ‌iPhone‌ 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi Calling

Installing it now, seeing if it makes any difference.

Crosses fingers to try on the 2 iPhones not on IOS 14

• So here's something interesting. I've got a iPhone SE (1st gen, on iOS 14 beta2) on the Visible service and it's fairly far away from the router most of the time. It sits on the 2.4GHz band almost always and the WiFi Calling doesn't work. I brought the phone closer to the router, it jumped to the 5GHz band and suddenly the WiFi Calling worked. Coincidence? Maybe. I thought it was intereresting.

• @Steven-Tellman
    hmm, I'm still on 13.5.1 and I enabled the additional 5Ghz radio on the router and connected to that. Still had the same issue with wifi calling though.
    Can you enable the additional 5Ghz radio on your router and test with that one?

• @Steven-Tellman I've been having more success with WiFi calling connections on iOS 14 beta 2. Fingers crossed that it stays this way...

• @kurupt I can later, but it’s really random when it works and when it doesn’t. Like both of my T-Mobile WiFi calling iPhones always say they are connected to WiFi calling but then I’ll miss calls, not be able to call out, and miss sms messages.

I’m also tempted by the new beta release, so that would introduce another variable.

• In regards to my previous comments @Richard1864 , yes both iPhones were on 13.5.1, and the network settings have been reset multiple times. However, I got my Asus RT-AC5300, installed it in the same manner, removed the AmpliFi HD, ATT Modem is in DMZPlus mode, with the new Asus grabbing the public ip directly, and the first call I received I experienced the issue. Leading me to believe its more of an iPhone/ATT Modem issues. as @Steven-Tellman pointed out there are some fixes in 13.6 for wifi calling issues, I will report back if anything changes.

• @Chris-Rushton !3.6 is out now in general release. See if it helps.

• @John-Pappas No change for me with iOS 13.6 sadly. I still get disconnected from WiFi Calling and then it won't reconnect for a while. Not sure what the deal is honestly. All I can say is I did not experience this with my Google WiFi I replaced....

• @mears148 It may be device specific. I haven’t experienced anything similar. Even when my phone is in the weakest cell connection area of my apartment, we have very poor cell service in this community, I’ve never had any call issues. Even my Apple Watch makes and receives calls over wifi with no issues. I can understand how frustrating it is, in our community if wifi calling wasn’t working properly we would be either on our balcony or hanging out our windows as I sometimes see others in the community who have older phones without this capability.

• @mears148 Does this occur if you are next to the main router? Or does it occur while roaming through the house? Also who is your cell provider and have you opened any ports for WiFi calling?

• I am starting to wonder if the internet speed or jitter has anything to do with this. I am assuming that if a phone is in airplane mode with WiFi enabled then it would always use WiFi Calling, but maybe there is a threshold for it to enable? It is the only other thing I can think of outside of the iPhone 11 Pro/Alien combo being the issue, due to COVID stressing my internet connection often. I am on a shared WiSP internet connection and it has been a bit slow at times compared to normal pre-COVID days.

• @UI-AmpliFi I have two Aliens in the house with a wired backhaul. If I am right next to either of them, I still can't get WiFi Calling to work. It seems to have a mind of it's own when it decides to connect. I have noticed that often times, after I disconnect from a call, the WiFi Calling then drops out for a period of time afterwards. It is very strange.

My cell provider is Verizon Wireless
    No ports opened...just UPNP

Is there a specific port that WiFi Calling uses?

• @mears148 Test opening these ports on all of your iOS devices with WiFi calling:
    500 UDP
    4500 UDP

Port Forwarding

• @UI-AmpliFi I opened those ports for my phone although currently it is behaving, so I'll keep on eye on it and see how it behaves now. I don't know that I understand how I could make the same port forwarding rule for multiple devices though. My understanding of port forwarding is that now all comms coming in over ports 500 and 4500 are destined for the port forwarded device, and therefore can't be more then one location. Am I wrong?

• @UI-AmpliFi You bring up a very good point however...could our issues be other devices contending for the same ports over UPNP, and the way the Alien handles that negotiation? That could potentially explain the randomness of my drop outs if so.

• @mears148 said in WiFi Calling On iPhone's:

other devices contending for the same ports over UPNP

Quite possible. We have seen some users have success with WiFi calling when there is only one devices connected to the network using this feature. If you would like to test this in your environment and report back that could help. The response coming from the carrier server may be a part of it, where it seems only one at a time can have active communication.

• @John-Pappas Updated to 13.6, disabled and enabled wifi calling, reset network settings, and still no good, first call after still experienced issues.

• Im testing this out, and its very consistent. One way audio after < 1 min, dialing 1-909-390-0003 and doing the echo test.