Schedule router reboot

• Will there be a future feature to let users have a schedule for rebooting our Alien routers daily?

• @Skillzx5 This has been requested in the past, but has not been considered or implemented yet. I will add your vote to the request!

• @Skillzx5 Hello, I have AMPLIFI HD and never felt need to reboot it. Why do you see a need to reboot Alien router every day?

• @Writeumar Rebooting network hardware corrects network and internet issues 75% of the time or more. The router uses memory and stores cache internally which might slow down its performance in areas with high bandwidth usage. Even though there maybe nothing wrong with the network connection itself, just as any machine would run its best when its restarted or powered on after a complete shutdown, so does a router's performance improve with periodic reboots and or power cycles.

There was also a global warning from the F.B.I about rebooting routers to stop Russia-Linked Malware from spreading.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/technology/router-fbi-reboot-malware.html

I have tested this out multiple times and always noticed a slight boost in performance after each reboot or power cycle. I would advise as a simple experiment to do a power cycle or reboot during early morning or late night hours when internet usage is not significantly used in your area to see if you noticed a difference.

Hope this clarifies my reasoning and please share your findings if you do decide to reboot your router or power cycle as suggested.

• @Skillzx5 that story is about 2 years old. A lot has happened from the hackers and manufacturers sides since then.

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, I never experienced slowness and thus never felt a need to reboot my AmpliFi HD for many months. The only time I restart my router is when I have to change the physical location of it, or change my internet provider.

That's one of the reasons I love this router.

I once had to factory reset in the past 2 years, because when a device is connected to the router, the app keeps on showing it. In that case, Factory reset was the only option to clear out those old devices. A suggestion for improvement has already been submitted to AmpliFi to let user delete unwanted device, while creating Profiles.

Got no experience with Alien though.

Good luck.

• I second this implementation. Would be nice to schedule something without having to do it on my own daily (or when I remember). Been looking for the same feature on my comcast modem but it seems like adding this feature on the GUI is not needed.

• @Damir-Alonso I third this implementation. ☺ ☝