Bad performance straight off mesh point

• Hi - I have the Amplifi set up such that Mesh Point 2 connects to MP 1 which then connects to the Router. As all components have an IP address, I can continuously monitor the ping times of the meshpoints. These are arond 1 ms. Devices that wirelessly attach themselves to MP2 have far worse ping times (between 0 and 400 ms at worst). All pings are done from a system that is connected via wire to the router. What could be the reason for this?
    (And just to be clear: I started testing this because throughput wasn't that good....)

• @Frank-Maas What is the noise reported for MP2 in the AmpliFi App? Is it connecting via 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, and how many devices are connected to it at times when pings spike?

• @UI-Brett I am unsure how to see the noise reported, neither how to quickly see the number of devices connected to MP2. However... I did see that my assumption that a devices that is at 60 cm distance from MP2 would attach to it. In fact it attaches to the Amplifi HD router which is 2 stories above and the signal strength is 45%....

Everything is running for more or less a day now, so why is it sticking to the wifi point which is the furthest away (MP1 is also closer)...

I have a support file available if that is of any help

• @UI-Brett adding to the above - it seems that quite a lot of devices stay attached to the router in stead of the far nearer MP2... Which kind of explains the spikes. Apart from the question 'why' the other question would be 'is there some way to gently push the devices away from the router'?

• @Frank-Maas Any data that has to travel through a meshpoint will face degradation and in certain situations (Distance, noise, other devices sharing connectivity) making a connections with a lower connection strength to the router could result in better throughput than connecting to a nearby meshpoint. This could mean that the mesh point is placed relatively to close to the router, or at least close enough where devices are deciding to switch back and forth.

In the app, If you tap on the Meshpoint icon on the System (or Overview in Android) tab, you can see what -dBm it is connected at. For higher throughput, I suggest closer to -50 to -55. For optimal range without major loss of performance, I would suggest -60 to -65. Every home environment is different, so this may take some trial and error on your part to place the meshpoint and test.

• @UI-Brett this is a three story house with the router on 2nd, MP1 on the 1st and MP2 on the ground floor. The link is

Router --(-59 dBm)-- MP1 --(-60 dBm)-- MP2

I can compare a TV which has a Chromecast attached to it. Both have a WiFi connection and they are more or less at the same distance of the WiFi points.

The TV is one of the devices that is (and stays) 5GHz attached to Router with a signal of 44% and an rx/tx bitrate of 175/6 Mbps (MIMO: 2x2).
    The Chromecast is 5GHz attached to MP2 with a signal of 100% and an rx/tx bitrate of 433/433 Mbps (MIMO: 1x1).

It does seem that the TV is not using the best connection path possible.

• @Frank-Maas said in Bad performance straight off mesh point:

The Chromecast is 5GHz attached to MP2 with a signal of 100% and an rx/tx bitrate of 433/433 Mbps (MIMO: 1x1)

To my knowledge, this is the theoretical connection between the device and the meshpoint, which does not include the degradations it would see after the meshpoint, not taking into consideration what performance looks like between the router and mesh point.