Question on teleport locating home router

• Hi. I wanted to setup what you call home router and remote router on site and ship the home router to another site. Wondering if the "remote amplifi" which be located at home would be able to locate the relocated home router at a another site.

• Hi @tom-p - the routers locate each other via the AmpliFi cloud, so they should be able to find each other

Will the 'home' router you will be shipping out be in Bridge mode?

That should work, but I have never actually moved the 'home' router myself, only traveled with a 'remote' router

If you have both routers set up with remote management, and even better on the same account, as long as they obtain access to the internet, you can easily reconfigure them
    (note that I have run into some issues inside the PRC with ISP's blocking the R2R Teleport VPN)

Having them on the same account works great because after the initial connection is made, you can very quickly and easily enable and disable R2R access without generating codes at the remote end

• @Derek-Saville - Hi Derek. Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear the routers are able locate each other even after being relocated. I plan to have the remote router behind a primary router (double NAT) so that not every connection on the remote site has to go through the home router. The home amplifi router will be in DHCP mode behind a modem-router (in bridge mode).

I've order the second amplifi and waiting, so figuring if I have to emulate a remote site to setup the second router. Can I just double NAT the second amplifi to set it up and then just ship it, and hopefully be able to find each other. I'm not sure how the "Switch Amplifi" works in the hamburger menu.

• I'm not sure how the "Switch Amplifi" works in the hamburger menu.

Hi @tom-p - works great actually...touch the hamburger, select Switch AmpliFi, and all of the online routers associated with your account appear in the list to manage, and any that are offline are listed as well

Once connected to a router you can then also generate Teleport codes if needed, even for remote routers

I plan to have the remote router behind a primary router (double NAT) so that not every connection on the remote site has to go through the home router.

That works, but just know that Router-to-Router works on a per client basis, so you can use the remote AmpliFi router as the primary router and selectively Teleport the clients that you want to route back home...everything else will route normally at the remote site

I've order the second amplifi and waiting, so figuring if I have to emulate a remote site to setup the second router. Can I just double NAT the second amplifi to set it up and then just ship it, and hopefully be able to find each other.

As long as you can set up the future 'home' DHCP router exactly as it needs to be at it's final destination it should work

But that is dependent on what the ISP expects to see and how the new router will obtain it's WAN address behind the modem+router gateway in bridge mode

Is the 'home' router replacing another router currently behind the modem+router gateway in bridge mode?

Or are you currently using the modem+router gateway as the primary DHCP router at the 'home' location?

Do you have someone who can help configure the 'home' location if necessary?

Sorry for the questions, but it might matter as to whether it will "just work" or not...

• @Derek-Saville said in Question on teleport locating home router:

Is the 'home' router replacing another router currently behind the modem+router gateway in bridge mode?
    Or are you currently using the modem+router gateway as the primary DHCP router at the 'home' location?

Currently it's double NAT'd but I'll have the modem+router gateway set to bridge mode when connected to the amplifi.

Do you have someone who can help configure the 'home' location if necessary?

Yes, but that person can only do basic stuff.

Sorry for the questions, but it might matter as to whether it will "just work" or not...

Thanks again Derek. I'll wait until the 2nd amplifi arrives and bring one over to a friends house to see if I really have it setup right. Maybe I might have more question then.

Regards

• Hi @tom-p - just a reminder, one last thing to keep in mind when you set up the 2nd router, for Router-to-Router Teleport the 2 routers need to be on different subnets

With iOS you only have a couple of default options from a menu, but with Android you can change the second octet

• @Derek-Saville Hi Derek. Second amplifi arrived. I was able to setup the 2nd amplifi using sonicwall router allowing for different ip ranges for each port. On first try, my iphone was on sonicwall's wifi I ended up with the 2 amplifis on different accounts.

So second time I made sure my phone was on my first amplifi's wifi and setup the 2nd amplifi using "Start Wizard" in the hamburger menu.

You're right, setting up on the same account doesn't require a teleport code. I was able to confirm router to router working from a different location. Shipped the router out this morning.

Derek, thanks again.