Backhaul, bridge or wireless mesh. Best upgrade option?

• Hi all.
    I have been using my Amplifi HD system with 2 mesh points for just over a year. The coverage is good, however I would like better 😉
    I am thinking of getting another Amplifi HD router and connecting to the system but can't find the advantages/disadvantages of different setups.

Questions I have are:

1. What are the differences between having the 2nd router in wired backhaul or bridge mode?
    2. Is there a big disadvantage in using wireless mesh for 2nd router?
    3. Do any of the above options give the option to use both 2.5ghz and 5ghz bands on 2nd router at the same time?

Apologies in advance if these questions have been asked before, I couldn't seem to find the answers though.

Any help would be greatly received.

• Hi @Stuart-Utting -...

What are the differences between having the 2nd router in wired backhaul or bridge mode?

Installing the 2nd HD router as a mesh point (RAMP) with wired backhaul maintains one single mesh in your home

Installing it in Bridge mode creates a second independent WiFi network that needs to be managed separately

There are times you might want to do this but creating a single mesh is strongly recommended

You can easily change the mode later if necessary

Is there a big disadvantage in using wireless mesh for 2nd router?

Yes, AmpliFi routers do not have dedicated backhaul radios so throughput is reduced when using a wireless mesh point

With wired Ethernet backhaul you will have full WiFi performance from the 2nd HD router and it will be an improvement over your current wireless mesh points

Do any of the above options give the option to use both 2.5ghz and 5ghz bands on 2nd router at the same time?

Installing the 2nd HD router as a mesh point (RAMP), either wired or wireless backhaul, will maintain and use the main SSID utilizing both bands simultaneously

Adding a 2nd HD router with wired Ethernet backhaul is a great option to improve your network performance and coverage

• Wow Derek, wasn't expecting such a detailed response. Many thanks, problem sorted. RAMP it is 👍👍