Super Slow Wifi-6 speeds

• @Irene-Pavico-Tsukayama Oops corrected my post. I got like ~200 Mbps when I further moved the router away from the TV. Unfortunately I cannot move it any further as my Xfinity cable point is around there, and I will need to keep the modem and router somewhere around there 😞

• Im having the same issue with WiFi 6 speeds. Terrible WiFi 6 and decent WiFi 5 ....this is very disappointing for the money I spent. I can only hope there is a firmware release. I’m only getting 200 Mbps on WiFi 6 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and 2020 iPad Pro. I have Gb internet. I’m starting to wonder if I should of got Asus Ax89x ? Any word on 160mhz support? Or being able to change channels on 5G WiFi 6 band

• @Agnstodds according to the tech that I've been dealing with, they're saying that there's 70 competing routers around my house. 27 of which are on wifi6 channel. That being said, when I run netspot, it only shows around 10 other routers and none of which populate as an AX router. Even as I type this only 2 feet away from my router, according to Netspot, my laptop is showing a 67% signal on all 3 wifi bands even though the client details for my laptop in the Amplifi app shows that it should be 87%. I think a lot of the issue is with their proprietary antenna array and not putting out the signal that it should which leads to slower speeds. I too hope this can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. I also believe that the router is repeating it's own signal which is causing the channels to become congested, likely also causing the slower wifi speeds. That's the only way that I can account for 27 Wifi6 signals showing up in my log files, and 70 other routers even though there's not 70 houses within wifi distance of my house. Even at 3 signals per router, that's 24 houses of which I have to go over a quarter mile in each direction to get that total number of houses.

• Edit: WiFi5 issues Solved!

I have never dealt with gigabit speeds in my house before, so I made a simple but crucial error. There are tens of servers to select while using speedtest.net and usually I let the app auto select, which has never been an issue. Well apparently only certain servers can reach super high speeds. So I’m ecstatic that my speeds are in the 600/600 range! (Every time)

Edit: WiFi6 is working much better for me now but still slower than WiFi5. However tech support said they are coming out with a beta to fix it soon.

Original Post:
    Add me to the list!! I’m having WiFi 6 and all WiFi issues. All my bands are slow... but only getting 200 down with an iPhone 11 Pro with the WiFi6.

• This post is deleted!

• @Gofast Let me know if you need help with an RMA. I have been testing with an iPhone 11 and it usually can achieve 700Mbps both directions.

• @UI-JT

I’m not sure if my edited post is showing. Each time I come back it shows my original post only. Odd. So here is my edit:

Edit: WiFi5 issues Solved!

I have never dealt with gigabit speeds in my house before, so I made a simple but crucial error. There are tens of servers to select while using speedtest.net and usually I let the app auto select, which has never been an issue. Well apparently only certain servers can reach super high speeds. So I’m ecstatic that my speeds are in the 600/600 range! (Every time)

Edit: WiFi6 is working much better for me now but still slower than WiFi5. However tech support said they are coming out with a beta to fix it soon.

Original Post:
    Add me to the list!! I’m having WiFi 6 and all WiFi issues. All my bands are slow... but only getting 200 down with an iPhone 11 Pro with the WiFi6.

• @UI-JT

With that said, there are a few here with slower than expected WiFi6 performance. Tier 2 support mentioned your company is coming out with a fix/improvement to WiFi6 performance.

Just so we’re clear, you recommend I get a replacement if my WiFi6 iPhone 11 Pro is only pulling in around 500/500. Which is slower than the WiFi5 connection?

My point being, it sounds like it’s a software issue but if you feel otherwise I will definitely follow your advice. I greatly appreciate you reaching out.

• @Gofast If you can achieve that speed then it is likely more related to software.

• I'm getting 350Mbps in a gigabit xfinity on my iPhone 11 Pro. I have 2 devices as mesh connected thru Ethernet Backbone. I live in an apartment building so wifi might be cramped, but I was expecting higher speeds.
    I get 945Mbps in a wired connection. Any of you who's getting 700Mbps care to share how did you setup the wireless connection in the Alien? When you toggle on 5ghz additional band do you use the same SSID ? Or split the devices using different SSID's. Thanks

• I just received my 1st Alien this past Wednesday (6/3/20). I have a 2nd one on the way that I will use in Bridge Mode.
    Currently, I am experiencing a 50% speed.

I have my Cable Modem connected to a Netgear Gigabit Switch, then to the Alien Router. The Modem Native Wifi signals are disabled.

When I do a speed test (on the App or the Alien Touchscreen) I get about 50% of the total incoming speed to the Modem. So, at first I was only getting about 200 mbps down, while the modem was pulling 400 mbps down. I reset the modem and now, the Alien is pulling about 450 mbps down, while the modem is pulling a little over 900 mbps down.

Upload speeds are affected the same way in that my ISP delivers 35 mbps up, my modem is sending 35 mbps up, but the Alien is only sending around 12-15 mbps up.

I feel like there is a setting I am missing, but since I'm just a regular Joe and not a Tech GURU...I'm not really sure where to begin looking.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, my wifi speeds match almost exactly what the Alien Speed is receiving.

• @maratonomak
    Samething here ...
    i have a gig up and down on the alien
    when i try a speed test with my iphone 11 pro i get 275 up 275 down
    I live in a house so its not cramped
    i had high hope with this router

• Along with the overall slow wifi6 speeds, does anyone else have the issue of an inconsistent throughput for both 2.4 and 5ghz? During 1 large file download or 1 speed test, the throughput goes up and down like a wave. Or sometimes goes up in the beginning and then slowly decreases to never go back up and settles at a much lower speed. Wifi5 on the other hand gets pegged at the max speed. This occurs about 95% of the time for me.

• I have gig/gig, and I average 322/277 (wifi6). On a good day, 4??/3??. Never even seen a 500/500. Last night I set my Samsung Note 10+ right on top of the router and got a 43/36, yes 43/36. With my Netgear RAX120 I am in the 500's.

• @UI-JT I’ve been following these threads and out of curiosity I enabled the additional 5 network on my Alien. The channel selection is on automatic and I left it on whatever the device was using. I first connected my iPhone 11 Pro Max to the additional network and used the Speedtest app to run a test. I used the server that always gives me the best results, the one closet to my location. The results were better than I had seen earlier this morning, although they were still in the range I normally see - high 400s to mid 500s. This time both were mid 500s. I tried the same with my iPad Pro but there was no change in results. Again I made no changes in the channel selected.

My assumption is that any difference is more due to channel selection than anything else. With my previous router manual selection of channel 149 on my 5GHz network always gave the best range and speed results. But as we know the Alien does not allow manual selection of this channel. When I do a scan the channel shown being used is 157. And again 500s were what I was seeing with my previous router, Apple Time Capsule, with the currently supplied gig Fios connection. So nothing has really changed and I’m assuming that those are just my expected results in my current environment, a condo apartment with multiple networks around me. I’m going to disable the additional 5 network as I don’t see it really adding anything to my current situation.

What will be interesting is that at the end of June Verizon is supposed to stop the gig network connections to those who aren’t subscribing to it. Prior to them enabling it my devices would see 300/300+ on my 200/200 subscribed tier with the previous router. I’m curious to see what results I’ll experience with the Alien.

• @John-Pappas I am sure channel selection plays a part. In my home it has never used anything but 149. My old router used the lower bands with better results, but with this router the lower bands are reserved for the wifi5 radio only.

• Well, I can thankfully say my troubles are gone. I did an RMA and received a replacement alien. The AX radio behaves completely different than my first unit and my speeds are exactly as they should be. 750-770down on a 11Pro. Overall the replacement unit works much better and hasn’t skipped a beat, so I’m quite certain it was a hardware issue. I know people complain about AMPLIFI customer support, however I’ve had a very pleasant experience. Everyone I’ve dealt with has been helpful in some way and they never fought me when I requested something. Good luck to everyone else!

• I had an RMA and there was no change for me. I have been using my Netgear RAX120 over this weekend and even without mesh of the alien router I am getting basically near 500 up/down throughout my 4000sqf home. Much less outside because of the stucco, but my nest cams are ok. I probably would get much better speeds if I use the dfs channels but I have some roku tvs that dont support it. Once alien gets dfs It would be a better fit for me because I could enable the additional 5ghz radio and connect my roku tvs to that band, well that is the plan.

• I'm glad this seems to be a hardware issue resolved by an RMA in at least one case, and it's not some inherent design flaw or incompatibility with WiFi 6 iOS devices.

I don't have a WiFi 6 device to test my Alien against, but I do seem to be getting very good speeds on my WiFi 5 iPhone X connected to the Alien WiFi 6 radio...
    0_1593609991230_9052CB26-05A3-4629-9983-89D1B5DFCE34.png

A couple things to note about testing max WiFi speeds:

1. Using the Speedtest app or Fast.com is unreliable. Even if you have Gigabit internet, your internet connection or the internet server you're testing with could fluctuate in speed. It's best to install iperf on a computer connected to your network via ethernet and then test speeds between that device and a device on your WiFi if you want to see the maximum WiFi speeds your network is capable of.

2. I get the best WiFi speeds about 10 feet from my Alien. As I move closer than that, the speeds start to go down. Believe it or not, WiFi signal can be too strong. If you're holding your phone right next to your Alien, you are probably going to cut your speeds by up to 40% compared to holding it 10 feet away.

• A new Beta firmware was released this morning. I got a note from Amplifi support that this may potentially resolve the bug with Wifi-6 signal's poor performance. But unfortunately, I see no improvement. I did not get more than 200 Mbps on it with my Wifi6 device while Wifi-5 signal continues to give me ~700.