Slow Speeds via Ethernet (LAN)

• I setup my Amplifi Alien yesterday, and it's great! Only one odd thing I've noticed - I get ~500 Mbps - 600 Mbps down via Ethernet.

I have 1000 Mbps from Comcast, and my speed tests are ~800 Mbps - 900 Mbps while hardwired into the modem (Netgear CM1000). I cannot get those speeds from the Alien. Wasn't an issue with my old router, an Asus RT-AC68U.

What's strange - My iPhone 11 Pro Max (connected via 5GHz Wi-Fi 6) pulls ~700 Mbps down. I cannot even get close to those speeds wired in.

I've rebooted the modem and Alien, updated the firmware to the latest revision, and swapped Ethernet cables (all Cat6). No luck boosting my LAN speeds.

Any insight? I've heard success with downgrading the firmware, but haven't tried it.

• @gegcl What is the Firmware version of this unit?

• Hi there! I'm on v.3.3.1.

• I have the EXACT opposite problem. Ethernet I get 950 Mbps, Wifi6 not more than 150 Mbps.

• @Bare-Necessities

So, in Settings > Wireless, I flipped on 5 GHz Wi-Fi 6 and created a separate SSID for it.

I have my 2.4 GHz devices under the main SSID 'SSID name', my 5 GHz devices under that 'Additional 5 GHz radio', and now my Wi-Fi 6 devices under a separate SSID '5 Ghz Wi-Fi 6'.

I have blazing fast speeds via Wi-Fi 6, so maybe you have too may different wireless types and the Alien can't segregate the speeds or whatever? Worth testing, I suppose.

• Hi @gegcl - here is my thread with the details.

Here is what I have:

Wifi-6 (5 and 2.4 GHz combined) - very poor speeds
    Wifi-5 (5 GHz) - great speeds!

I tried separate SSIDs for Wifi-6 - one for 5 GHz and another for 2.4 GHz but that did not improve my speeds.

• @Bare-Necessities Have you tried creating a different SSID altogether (TestSSID) and just have your one single Wi-Fi 6 device connected to see if this gives you fast speeds?

• Let me try now!

• Got 210 Mbps with the test Wifi-6 5 GHz SSID with only my laptop connected to it ...

• @Bare-Necessities Just checking - I'm talking about turning off 'Common SSID Name' and creating an SSID titled something like 'Test 6 GHz' for 5 GHz Wi-Fi 6 and 'Test 2.4 GHz' for 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi 6.

I'd switch off all of the additional SSIDs.

Reboot your modem and the Amplifi and then test once more.

My Wi-Fi 6 device is an iPhone 11 Pro Max. In the 'Devices' tab, I see a little green Wi-Fi 6 bubble to indicate it.

• Oh yes, that I have tested thrice. The customer support lady from Amplifi made me test that twice as well and did not help 😞

• @gegcl Roll back to 3.3.0 and test speeds after.

• Heya - would you be able to provide the firmware file?