Alien + ubiquiti cameras

• Hi there,
    Moving to a new house, and likely setting up 2 amplifi alien routers (Ethernet backhaul) to create a mesh. House wired with cat6. Trying to figure out the best security cameras for indoor and outdoor, and have heard great things about the Ubiquiti PoE cameras. That said, I've also heard that amplifi & ubiquiti products don't work well together.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have suggestions? Presumably I could just use a wifi camera system (e.g. nest, etc) but trying to go all Ubiquiti.

Thanks!

• Hi @jamplifi - you might want to consider holding off until more information about the the rumored UDM-SE is released

The UDM-SE is rumored to have PoE and an HDD to support UniFi Protect as an update to the original UniFi Dream Machine

Or you can go UDM-Pro and just add AP's

It looks like WiFi-6 UAP's are in the works if you really need 802.11ax

• @jamplifi I have this setup. Actually, I have two Alien routers and a mesh extender. I also have 13 UniFi/Uniquiti cameras connected by ethernet. Here's how my setup is configured:

WAN/ATT Gigabit -->Alien main router --> 16 port UniFi switch -->All my cameras.

I also have a Ubiquity 2TB NVR connected to the switch. This allows me to save whatever videos I want.

The NVR is easily managed remotely from anywhere in the world via https://video.ui.com

The switch can be managed using the UniFi Network Controller:
    https://www.ui.com/download/unifi/
    There's even an app for your smart phone to check in on your cameras from anywhere

Hope this helps.

• Good to know the Ubiquity NVR works with Alien. How about the CloudKey Gen 2+? I would assume this works as well, but I haven't seen anyone post anything about using it with Alien Kit. The setup I'm thinking about is:
    ISP Modem >> Ailen Kit (2 routers using ethernet backhaul) >> Unifi PoE switch >> CloudKey Gen2+ & Cameras
    Does this work?

Second question: Can I have more than (2) Alien routers connected on one system using Ethernet backhaul?

• @Confluence_Cont said in Alien + ubiquiti cameras:

Can I have more than (2) Alien routers connected on one system using Ethernet backhaul?

Yes, you just cannot mesh multiple Alien kits, they would have to be stand alone Alien routers.

• @Confluence_Cont said in Alien + ubiquiti cameras:

ISP Modem >> Ailen Kit (2 routers using ethernet backhaul) >> Unifi PoE switch >> CloudKey Gen2+ & Cameras
    Does this work?

I currently have ISP > Amplifi HD (4 routers using ethernet backhaul and one Wall antenna unit) > Linksys POE Switch > CloudKey Gen2 > 7 Unifi Cameras

All work a treat! Tomorrow my Alien arrives but I could only purchase one as part of the UK Beta test and I'm sure that the CLoudkey will continue to work fine. Unifi Protect software is really good too and very happy with it.

The only thing now is the long wait for more Alien routers as I think my range is gonna suck for a while unless I can add my HD units as bridge units for now