Switched from Xfinity to ATT Fiber, AmpliFi HD slower, mesh Points weaker? Help pls.

• We have AT&T fiber in our neighborhood, so I recently decided to switch from Xfinity because ATT is more cost effective and supposedly more powerful. I have a AmpliFi HD that has been working GREAT (connected through the Xfinity modem in "Bridge-mode"), and I use the two mesh points to stretch the signal across my yard to a back office. Strong enough to do online training/gaming with Zwift, watch TV, etc. Have been nothing but impressed... Until I switched to ATT...

Full transparancy, I am not super computer savvy, which is why I would LOVE some clarity on whats going on, and or if I can quickly/easily resolve this because I love my current setup and everythings placements.

Taking into account that nothing placement wise has changed, the AmpliFi router is where it has been, the new ATT (Arris BGW210-700) gateway in "Passthrough" is right next to it, and the meshpoints remain plugged where they were.

The download speed is drastically slower in the Amplifi app then Xfinity, upload is up across all tests, but I am getting a crazy amount of different readings I cant make sense of. Again, isnt there a bunch of power behind fiber?

1. ATT speed test to our modem, using their app - 991mbps Download / 914 upload
    2. Speed test, performed using a PC, connected with a ethernet cable to the AmpliFi router - 69.14 / 96.29
    3. Speed test performed in my AmpliFi app on my phone - 101.6 / 102.4
    4. Speed test run on our wifi network, from my phone - 337 / 107

Can anyone please let me know how I can boost the performance of my Amplifi? Or at least, ensure that a strong enough signal can once again make it to my furtherst mesh point? Again, positions havent changed, how can Xfinity's signal be stronger then fiber?

TRULY appreciate anyones help and expertise. Thanks for your time.

• @Gregor-Mraz said in Switched from Xfinity to ATT Fiber, AmpliFi HD slower, mesh Points weaker? Help pls.:

Speed test performed in my AmpliFi app on my phone - 101.6 / 102.4

There has been known issues with different regions to give you false readings with the internal app speed test, so lets rely on other 3rd party tests while we find out whats going on.

To my knowledge (based on other users experiences) ATT does not have a full bridge mode, and I have yet to successfully configure an AmpliFi router with ATT WITHOUT AmpliFi being placed into bridge mode. You described that with Xfinity you had AmpliFi in bridge mode, is it still configured in bridge, or in DHCP mode?

• Thanks so much for your reply @UI-Brett

So the Xfinity modem where the line comes in was placed in bridge mode (by them), similar (I thought) to the ATT being placed in pass-through.

The AmpliFi remains in DHCP mode, if thats how it comes out of the box, I have never changed the configuration.

Apologies for any confusion or if I am misunderstanding the terminology.

• @Gregor-Mraz No, you have your terminology correct. What I would suggest is to place the ATT modem/router back into default router mode, then place AmpliFi into bridge mode and test.

• @UI-Brett Thank you for the suggestion.

Under lock down, finding time to turn everything off and figure this out, has been tough. So I will give this a try, hopefully today.

Question, I checked the links, and if the AmpliFi is in Bridgemode as a access point, I think I understand or it looks like I may loose a bunch of features... I dont think I am currently using or playing around with, but if its not functioning as a router does that mean its STILL USES THE MESH POINTS?

"Note that when the AmpliFi router is in bridge mode it is not acting as a router anymore and will lose its routing capabilities, no longer offering these features:

Hardware NAT
    UPnP
    VLAN ID
    DHCP Server
    Port Forwarding
    Family Profiles
    QoS
    DNS"

The mesh points are truly the only thing I care about, broadcasting the strongest signal possible to the furthest mesh point.

Thx for your thoughts.

• @Gregor-Mraz said in Switched from Xfinity to ATT Fiber, AmpliFi HD slower, mesh Points weaker? Help pls.:

if its not functioning as a router does that mean its STILL USES THE MESH POINTS?

The mesh points will still fully function when AmpliFi is placed into bridge mode.

• HI! Circling back on all of this.

For some reason, fliping the "bridge-mode" switch feels scary to me, only because if it causes all my connected devices to need to reboot or need to be reprogramed if I flip it back, it makes my head spin... It was a disclaimer (I might be missunderstanding it). Worry about it? flip it, flip it back if things dont improve?

Otherwise, I took the ATT off "pass-through", and checked it (online MLab test) with a Eithernet cable, the speed was in the >400's, both download and upload. Plugged cable into the Amplifi (same test), it was in the >200's for both, although the "app" was reading ~100s for both.

Then, ran MLABS wifi speed-test, thats been pretty consistant >200's for both. Feels stronger then it was.

Also, changed my mesh-points, both to 2.4 GHz. Signal strength to my back office has greatly improved, not great but seems consistant at >15 for both download and upload (was ~4GHz).

For now, am happy with the setup, everyhting seems to be working great, enough power to cover our household. BETTER then it originally was to the back office.

May flip the "bridge-mode" switch on the Amplifi if that might continue to boost the strength, but for now, am happy.

Thanks again for you input @UI-Brett