Using Aliens in wireless mesh configuration behind another router...can it be done?

• So the title of the thread says it all... Can I run a couple Alien routers (set in bridge mode) behind another router and still have a functional wireless mesh network? My home is not set up for any sort of wired backhaul, so the connection would be totally wireless between the Alien units. I presume that I would just need to turn off the wireless radios on the main router and hardwire the first Alien and set to bridge mode, then pair the second Alien to the connected Alien? Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance for the help!

• Can I run a couple Alien routers (set in bridge mode) behind another router and still have a functional wireless mesh network?

Hi @Phil_Ken_Sebben - yes, you are not missing anything and it will work as you described

• Ok, another couple questions:

If used in this setup, what would the theoretical speeds be on the Ethernet ports of the satellite be? I have gigabit speeds with AT&T fiber hardwired to my current router. Would it be reasonable to assume any hardware attached to the satellite would get approximately the same?

Also, how many Alien units can be linked together in this way? I have looked for documentation online about how many units can be in a mesh, but have not found any answers.

• @Phil_Ken_Sebben said in Using Aliens in wireless mesh configuration behind another router...can it be done?:

hardware attached to the satellite would get approximately the same?

Yes, the hardwired speeds will be similar to the wireless performance the mesh point is receiving, which communicates on WiFi-6.

Also, how many Alien units can be linked together in this way?

There is no realistic limit, the limit would be the usable signal that could be achieved after chaining multiple Aliens together. But with WiFi-6 backhaul, that performance can be stretched quite a bit through multiple Aliens meshed together.

• @Phil_Ken_Sebben I'm going to be setting up what sounds like a similar setup. AT&T fiber (I requested BGW modem) and purchased 2 Alien routers connected via wired backhaul. How have you see the performance with this setup? I presume you have tremendous wifi coverage and speeds?

I'll also have an apple tv plugged in to 1 ethernet point on the 2nd alien mesh, and would hope for nearly gigabit speeds as you as about "theoretical max"