Newbie Totally Confused with home wifi network

• Hello everyone, I have a

TP-Link AC2600 Dual Band Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, TalkTalk, EE and PlusNet Fibre) 2 USB, 3.0 Ports, UK Plug (Archer VR2600)

and wasn’t happy with its reach, so I added two of these
    TP-Link AV2000 Gigabit Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit - White (UK Plug)

But still I had to keep moving the plugs around.

I researched and purchased Amplifi HD and thought it would replace the TP Link system.

I quickly realised that the Amplifi router needs to be connected to the TP-Link AC2600.

So now I have the amplify router connected and located next to my -Link AC2600 and the range extenders and amplify plugs all over the house.

The connectable wifi networks are now

Amplifi HD
    TP-Link AC2600
    Range extender 1
    Range Extender 2

I’m tying myself in knots

I have a lot of kit, but need advice on how best to set it up to optimise performance, ideally in one network. If this is possible. Or another way. I don’t know.

Please bear in mind there are no opportunities to move the modem or hard wire anything.
    The house is 3 floors, with TP-Link AC2600/Amplifu router on ground floor, Ground floor has a large extension at back also.

If anyone could give me a step by step in newbie terms that would be so helpful and I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,
    Taff

• @taffytimps said in Newbie Totally Confused with home wifi network:

So now I have the amplify router connected and located next to my -Link AC2600 and the range extenders and amplify plugs all over the house.

Bridge mode on either the TP link or on your AmpliFi system will be needed, so you will just want to decide which platform you want to use primarily to manage your network.

secondly, too much wifi can be a bad thing. The AmpliFi mesh system will help guide you to learn the best place for your AmpliFi mesh points, but it can only calculate placement each meshpoint back to the router, it will not guide you on where to place your TP link extenders.

My suggestion would be start from the ground and work up. Disable WiFi on your TP link, remove all extenders and mesh points and just have wifi broadcasting from AmpliFi. Survey your home with your mobile phone or other wireless devices to identify deadspots and weak coverage and add mesh points one at a time, and survey again. That way you can be sure you dont create a ton of overlap and interference.

• Hi Brett, could I for example keep the tp link and put both extenders on the ground floor and then put the mesh points on the 1st and 2nd floor. I guess I'm no better off in terms of number of wifi networks.

So are you saying it is impossible to have all of the hardware on one wifi network?

One final possibility, is it possible for the mesh router and two mesh points to be wireless satellites of the tp link router?

• @taffytimps said in Newbie Totally Confused with home wifi network:

keep the tp link and put both extenders on the ground floor and then put the mesh points on the 1st and 2nd floor.

The mesh points from the AmpliFi system will not communicate with the TP link router or TP extenders (since your AmpliFi system is a kit) So you could possibly configure it this way if the meshpoints are still within range of the AmpliFi rotuer

So are you saying it is impossible to have all of the hardware on one wifi network?

No, it can all be one network, AmpliFi or TP link will have to be in bridge mode which creates 1 Subnet (one network) because there is only one brain operating on the network.

is it possible for the mesh router and two mesh points to be wireless satellites of the tp link router?

No, just because in an AmpliFi kit, the mesh points need to communicate to the AmpliFi router and do not have a 3rd party extender mode.

One solution for your situation is to purchase any stand alone AmpliFI product to just expand upon what network hardware you already have. The problem you are facing is that you purchased the Kit, which is designed to be a whole home WiFi solution and replace your existing router. If you just add a stand alone AmpliFi in extender mode, it may work better for your environment. OR if possible just use AmpliFi bridged to the TP link primary router and remove the TP Link extenders (if that will cover your entire home with WiFi)

• So are you saying it is impossible to have all of the hardware on one wifi network?

HI @taffytimps - you might be able to have most of your kit on the same SSID (so your devices only see one WiFi network), but only the AmpliFi gear will work as a cooperative mesh and the range extenders would be independent access points

One possibility...

• Disable the WiFi on your TP-Link AC2600 Gateway
    • Put the AmpliFi HD in Bridge Mode plugged into and installed near to the TP-Link AC2600
    • Place the HD kit MeshPoints in the best locations you can find and check your WiFi coverage
    • For coverage dead spots install a TP-Link AV2000 PowerLine range extender and replicate the HD's SSID & Password, but try to minimize any overlap with the HD kit's WiFi to avoid causing roaming issues

That should create one SSID network in your home, but how well the range extenders work with the HD's mesh is something you will have to try out and experiment with

• @Derek-Saville thank you. as it is now.

The amplifi mesh system is delivering enough wifi throughout the house and much better than the tp link with powerline extenders. So i am thinking best to make tp link obsolete.

Is it as simple as unplugging the adapters and turning wifi off on the tplink router. Or do i need to put the tp link in bridge mode or something.

One other thing. I have a hardwire to my home office at the bottom of the garden. Is that best plugged into amplifi router or tp link router. If i am keeping it operational, but without wifi.

Hope this make sense.

Thank you.

• I would set the TP-Link to modem-only mode and disable WiFi on it and just use it as a modem delivering internet to your AmpliFi and let your AmpliFi to do all the routing and networking work. You would then need to connect your office to the AmpliFi as it would be the device handling your network. This would avoid you getting into trouble with double NAT and would probably be the better option unless the master (Derek) has other ideas.

You can obviously flip this on its head and leave your TP-Link to do all the routing work and set up the AmpliFi as a bridge only with no routing capabilities. I would only do this if there are routing features that your parent router offers, that you need and that are not available on the AmpliFi.

• @Ali-Hadi thank you. I am getting there. Is disable wifi enough or do i need to do more to make tp link modem only?

• @taffytimps you would need to set your TP-Link to modem-only (I think TP-Link also call it Bridge Mode). I have not used TP-Link but I am sure you can find info online. Something along these lines might help:
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

Once you have done that, you will need to set your AmpliFi in PPPoE mode and enter your ISP's username and password into AmpliFi to connect it to the internet. Let me know if you need more help.

• @Ali-Hadi thanks for all of your help. Current situation is I could not get instruction on how to put tplink in bridge and was easy to do with amplifi, so have put amplifi router in bridge. Things working ok except don't like having two wifi networks, two logins. Is it possible, and if so how do i put amplifi fully under tplink wifi network, so seamleslly switches from one to the other?

• @taffytimps You can give the AmpliFi the same SSID and password as your TPL and keep both WiFi sources on but this is not recommended as although your devices can connect to either, they will not work as a true mesh. Best thing is that once you have picked the right SSID for your AmpliFi, Just disable WiFi radio on your TPL and use your AmpliFi to connect to all your WiFi clients. Hope this helps.

• Hi @taffytimps - is this your modem router?
    https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr2600/

If so, it appears to have buttons on the side to manually turn off WiFi, one for each band 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz...
    alt text

There is also a support website with links to download the Quick Install Guide and User Quide
    https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-vr2600/

The Quick Install Guide details the external buttons for turning off the WiFi

Or in chapter 12.3 of the User Guide it shows you how to manually set the the Wireless Settings to disable the WiFI

PS - once you have WiFi disabled it looks like you could also remove the antennas from the back if you want to change the appearance of the router since the antennas would not be functional anymore anyways, but don't lose them in case you ever want to put them back on...

• Thanks guys for the advice, you're great. Re changing ssid, what is that, where do i find it and where do i enter it in amplifihd?

Is it ok just to toggle wifi buttons off ir should i do it in the tplink app. I will also remove the,arials.

If i do this will ethernet still work on tp link? And the wifi range extender plugs if needed.

• @taffytimps SSID is bascially just the name you'd want to give to your wifi network (you will have probably already set that up when you named your AmpliFi router during initial setup). You can always change it from the AmpliFi app by tapping on the Router --> Settings/Wireless --> Wireless SSID name and Password.

I would imagine that you can toggle wifi on and off on your parent router by either doing it via software or hardware options as unlikely to make any difference. Turning wifi off and removing the antennae should not have any impact on your router's ethernet connections and all else should work fine apart from wireless connections which your AmpliFi should handle from now on.

• @Ali-Hadi ah so i simply name the amplifi to the name of tp link router and use same password. Easy.

What are the additional ssid settings under wifi on amlifihd for?

• Update. I have made amplifi same ssid and password as tp link, disabled tp link wirelessa and removed ariels. All works including the powerline adapter, which is plugged into tp link by ethernet. Currently I also have my garden office ethernet to tp link, but ay try in amplifihd.

Can I ask is amplifi hd any good at managing bufferbloat?
    Or is it not doing anything being bridge mode.
    Would you say better with ethernet in tp link or amplifi?

I have oen issue with current set up, my sons xbox is having NAT problems, any ideas?

• @taffytimps For Xbox with NAT restrictions, port forwarding rules may need to be configured. This was broken down a little on this community post: https://community.amplifi.com/topic/3069/xbox-port-forwarding-possible

With AmpliFi in bridge mode, the TP link is where you would need to create these rules. Also, which device you use as primary vs bridge mode really depends on your preference with the software you want to use primarily to manage your network. With AmpliFi in bridge mode, most features are disabled so for example creating the port forwarding rules you would need to learn and use the TP link software.

• Hi @taffytimps -...

Can I ask is amplifi hd any good at managing bufferbloat?

The AmpliFi HD does not have any specific features implemented for managing buffer bloat

Or is it not doing anything being bridge mode.

In Bridge mode the AmpliFi HD is only providing WiFi access

Would you say better with ethernet in tp link or amplifi?

Which device you use for Ethernet connections should not make a difference - they are essentially the same

I have oen issue with current set up, my sons xbox is having NAT problems, any ideas?

Chapter 11 in the User Guide for the VR2600 explains how to handle NAT / Port issues in conjunction with the link that @UI-Brett provided...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026770/xbox-open-these-network-ports-for-xbox-one

You might also want to confirm that your VR2600 is using the most up to date firmware

• Thanks so much all. Tplink firmware is latest, i think port forwarding instructions you sent are ckear. Will have a go later. I'll also check out buffebloat management in tplink. Thank you.

• For the xbox I've enabled dmz with the IP address of the xbox, it is now working. Is that ok to do? I've also enabled bandwidth control on tp link router at about -15% on up and down. Everything is working. Don't know how as I don't understand a darn thing about routers, networking and wireless. Keep up the good work.