Mesh Point always connecting to Router

• Hi

I have a Gamers edition kit of router + 2 mesh points working very well, even though one Mesh point is upstairs and closer to the first mesh point than the main cube router they appear to both connected to the main router (one connected at about 59 Db the other 60-61 Db) and stable steady signal delivering really good performance and easy to install.

However there is one room that is not great reception so I have tested using a Amplifi Instant router and config as a mesh point.

Issue I have is that it seems to only try to connect back to the main router and gets a low connection signal while the second Mesh Point is much closer and I assume a much stronger signal. I thought that the concept was that the mesh points would configure such that they would adopt the strongest signal and in order to reach further locations would hop the signal from router to mesh point to mesh point?

Questions therefore.....

How can I see what units are connected to which units? Is this represented in some way in the app graphic or via web interface perhaps?

How can I force the additional mesh point (in this case an Amplifi Instant) to connect to the nearest strongest signal device ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Graham

• @gp2229 said in Mesh Point always connecting to Router:

How can I see what units are connected to which units? Is this represented in some way in the app graphic or via web interface perhaps?

The order on the System (Overview on Android) tab indicates the order in which the mesh points are connecting, and the dots help understand. If you have a mesh point with 2 dots, it is connected to the router, 3 dots would mean that mesh points connects to another mesh point, then the router.

How can I force the additional mesh point (in this case an Amplifi Instant) to connect to the nearest strongest signal device ?

You cannot force a connection, they decide where to connect based on a throughput test, not based on connection strength. And with the AmpliFi Instant only having a 2x2 antenna, forcing it to connect to a mesh point instead of direct to the router will usually have a higher loss of performance and not deliver the desired performance.

The connection strength both of your meshpoints are reporting is what I would say is ideal (between -55 and -60 dBm), so I would expect them both to stay connected to the router and not each other. But If you are looking to stretch the signal a little further, you could go up to -65 and still stay on 5Ghz with addequite performance. If that still does not cover your dead spots, I would suggest another AFI-P-HD or AFI-R stand alone device to help stretch the signal, they will outperform the Instant router.