AmpliFi Alien MeshPoint

• Any chance there will be a possibility of ordering an additional AmpliFi Alien MeshPoint without having to buy the full fledged router in Canada? We currently only have the router available and I can't justify the cost of buying 2 for my needs 🙂

• @julesdadrummer The Alien router and mesh point are almost identical, the only difference besides the mesh point being hard coded to the router in the kit is: No LCD screen, and no 4 port LAN switch on the back. Because of the minimal differences, we do not have a plan to sell the mesh point individually.

• @UI-Brett Thanks for the response Brett! I guess it's just odd that we don't have the option to buy both the Router and MeshPoint in Canada, it would have been nice! My only option in this case is to drop another 500$+ on an additional router to extend coverage?

Cheers!
    Trevor

• @julesdadrummer I don't know price for different versions or regions but the US Alien is currently $379.00 US and the Alien kit is $699.00 US. So savings of $58 US when you purchase the kit, but some view the added LCD screen and 4 port LAN switch as a benefit worth the extra cost, that and not having the devices hard coded together.

But yes, the only other option in regards to AmpliFi and the Alien would be to add another Alien router.

• @UI-Brett - that is a bit misleading to what your company is advertising on your website. On the sales page of just the router (https://amplifi.com/alien) is this image: 0_1595524726529_Capture.JPG

Which indicates that I would be able to buy a meshpoint. It also references the Mesh point in the text AND the image.

I find this extremely misleading.

• @pmusson Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this information along so we can clear up any confusion.

• A couple months ago, when I first learned of the AmpliFi Alien KIT, the first thought that came to my mind was how do I buy additional mesh units. Why would I want to buy a system that I couldn't expand? For a short while I was also frustrated that I would be forced to buy another router that was potentially more expensive than buying the mesh unit a la carte.

Last Thursday I took delivery of the Alien KIT, got it all set up and loved that my wifi was working well again. That day I bought another Alien Router because I need one in my office so that I could get my NAS units connected to the network. Today I received the additional unit, installed it and everything is working well.

Then it dawned on me. If the router that came in the kit goes bust, for whatever reason, I'm out $750 because the dang mesh unit is hard coded to the router and I would be stuck with having to buy two routers.

I now wish I had bought three routers instead of the kit and one extra router. In my opinion, the small bump in price to pay for an additional router is worth it if you are debating between the kit and buying two routers.

• @anilnatha I bought three routers for this reason for my setup. I mess with my network a lot and didn’t want them hard coded. I agree that they should have made the ability to purchase a lower cost mesh unit separately from the router and not hard coded to one another. It makes no sense to make a mesh system this powerful with a mesh bundle for exactly 2 nodes and 2 nodes only. It would have been more logical to make routers only, then create 2 and 3 and perhaps 4 unit discounted bundles. I doubt they’re saving a lot of COGS on the screenless model, so mainly they’ve just created buyer confusion.

• @sonicdeathmonkey said in AmpliFi Alien MeshPoint:

a mesh bundle for exactly 2 nodes and 2 nodes only.

Alien stand alone routers can be added to the Alien kit to expand it past two nodes.

• @UI-AmpliFi yes we’re aware and I explained why it made no sense and was confusing to the market to have a bundle with a mesh node and not offering the ability to buy additional “mesh only” nodes. I know it’s confusing because I’m a customer and I found it confusing. It’s not a support problem it’s a product marketing error.