Is one better than two?

• Do you get better performance with one unit (providing it meets coverage needs), or two or more mesh units?

• @Mike-P I found it to be nice having two, performs about the same as just one, but with more range of course. I’m using Ethernet backhaul, if it helps 😊

• @Mike-P In terms of speed there is not a performance advantage given you have ample signal levels. If you need more coverage two will certainly be better than one.

• The UI team mentioned to me. That if you don’t need the extra coverage and use two h it’s into small an area, it can actually worsen performance rather than help it but I don’t completely understand all the ins and outs of why (just that things tend to cancel each other out) but others can share more eloquently as to exactly why this happens.

• @raeyn Im in 3000sqf.

• @Mike-P One of the devs could answer better than I could on specific coverage. When I asked a similar question a month or so back, they said they were recommending that people try one first, see how the coverage is and add more as needed, so as not to potentially make things worse. I’d think in 3ksf, you’d be fine to have two units, especially depending on how the layout is and if you’re dealing with multiple floors but again, one of the devs could answer better than I can. Wish I could help more. I will say, in our highly WiFi congested apartment, the coverage is much better than our previous Netgear stand along router with multiple external antennas.

• @raeyn I actually have two, but I was thinking maybe I would try just one. I had a few times when devices that where connected to the mesh unit (wired and wireless) would just stop working, but I am now getting one unit replaced because we think it just might have been bad. The position meter in the app says the units are in a good position from one another. For some reason in my mind I was also thinking it was always better to have one unit than to mesh, but that could be just an old way of thinking.

• Try one first (this is what I'm currently doing) and see how your wifi experience is (not only the percentage number that is on your display, your real world experience). See if you have any connection loss or poor speeds... find dead spots or weak points with your phone and/or specialty wifi apps to gauge where the weak points are. Usually, you would place a mesh point and/or router/AP in or near one of the spots to increase your actual and percentage wifi experience.

Here is a quick example, I came from an ASUS RT-AC87U(or R, I don't remember) using Merlin, had it for a good 6 years... I "upgraded to 2 ASUS RT-AX88U's to mesh them up Wifi 6 blah blah... turns out the second router was either dropping connections or leaves the devices connected (great signal strength but no data transfers as if it wasn't communicating with the main router which in their apps showed it had great signal strength). I returned one AX88 and kept one.... still having poor connection in the furthest room. So, I went back to my AC87 and kept searching... Got this Alien and it really improved my wifi experience overall, yet I'm still wanting to be closer to 100%... real world use everyone is happy... router indicates anywhere from 88%~93% usually stays within that range. My townhouse is roughly 3000 sq ft too and I was able to run different streaming apps on everything that can run streaming apps all simultaneously and the router didn't even hiccuped and this is with one router and no mesh.

Wired ethernet PC running 4K 60fps live youtube video, Note 10+ running the same video, every tv in the house (4) running netflix and disney+ one in HDR mode the other FHD and my wife's iPhone running another youtube video I believe in 2K while the Bose was streaming pandora... nothing buffered stopped or hiccuped. this was a non-real world test and I did expect something to go wrong... Xfinity 1Gbps/41Mbps... all this running on one Alien... it is a monstrous device and I still want a second one at the furthest point...

Now if you over add mesh points plus routers in mesh form you will over saturate the air with signals and could/will cause unnecessary noise/disruption and could weaken rather than strengthen your signals... evaluate your home try to place the router in the center-most area of your house test the one... if you feel you're getting poor connection at your furthest points then another is in order.