Amplifi HD router or UMD

• Hello

I am in need to replace my router.
    I am looking at just the HD router or the UniFi UMD.
    I would like spend as little as possible at this time to provide wifi throughout the home (3200 sq ft ~ 1600 per floor).

Thoughts are the HD would hopefully cover that much sq. ft. as the description mentions both 6,000 sq ft and I have also read that it covers 10,000 sq ft. However, this system can pretty much only add mesh points in the future, if needed.
    The UMD would allow other devices to be added to the system to extend the range inside, as well as outside.

Questions that I have are:
    1- Real life wifi coverage of the HD router only - How is it in reality? Would it cover my 3200 foot home? The router in either case would be mostly centrally located in the basement.
    2- Real life wifi coverage of the UMD? Anyone used/have one of these and how is the coverage?
    3- Expandability- can the HD use any of the UniFi devices? Or is there a way to send the wifi outdoors if we decide to expand later?

Any suggestions / thoughts would be welcomed.

Thank you

• @BobChambers said in Amplifi HD router or UMD:

1- Real life wifi coverage of the HD router only - How is it in reality? Would it cover my 3200 foot home? The router in either case would be mostly centrally located in the basement.

This is difficult to say because it varies greatly on environment. It absolutely could cover your 3200 sq ft home, but lets say right above the router in your basement is airducting, then right above may have lower strength than expected.

2- Real life wifi coverage of the UMD? Anyone used/have one of these and how is the coverage?

Never used one, being in AmpliFi support only. Hopefully someone else can share here.

3- Expandability- can the HD use any of the UniFi devices? Or is there a way to send the wifi outdoors if we decide to expand later?

AmpliFi can be expanded with any AmpliFi stand alone product (AFI-R, AFI-P-HD, AFI-INS-R) so you have options, but no you cannot use UniFi with AmpliFi. The HD and Instant would be better options if you have ethernet ran throughout your home because you can enable ethernet backhaul. AmpliFi does not have an outdoor solution however.

• This post is deleted!

• @UI-Brett Thank you for the reply.

I do realize that metal, wood, etc. will hinder the performance of the wifi. I was just trying to see if someone else has the HD and how it has worked for them without the mesh antennas.

Because UniFi can only be use with UniFi and not Amplifi I may jump into that arena just to get a better option of expanding the system in the future. I think I will need to do more research before I jump into it.

I do know that the wifi on my Netgear D6200 is not performing very well and I don't want to buy something new that performs the same or worse than that.

@James-Earl-Ford Thank you for the clarificdation.

• @BobChambers said in Amplifi HD router or UMD:

I was just trying to see if someone else has the HD and how it has worked for them without the mesh antennas.

I personally have used the HD router In my home and did not need the mesh antennas, but I have also spoken with users who have smaller homes that needed them because their houses were older and they gobbled up WiFi. If you have time on your side, if you go with the AmpliFi product line might I suggest you start with the AmpliFi HD stand alone router and expand as you see fit. whether that be with an additional AmpliFi router via ethernet backhaul for performance, or a mesh point to stretch the signal to that one room that struggles to connect.