Screen customization?? Wifi Experience??

• Where is a user guide for god's sake..?? There appears to be two different screens to the Alien.. mine is the one pictures on the website.. yet in searching for support, I see another one with "bubbles"?? What is this??

Also, what is the wifi section of the screen dipicting?? It says WiFi then a percentage and also "experience".. what the heck is WiFi experience??

I like the screen, it's cool.. but should be able to customize what we see on it.. for example the "other screen" showed if anyone was connected to the guest network.. that seems to be missing from this screen.. I know I can click to get to it.. but rather be able for $400 to see what I want to see myself.

• I think for the picture with the bubbles has been updated in the latest firmware. Thats what support told me because I too was looking for that screen..maybe someone else can chime in whether that is correct or not and if you can get that other screen back

• @Daniel-Connolly Thanks for the feedback, the "Bubbles screen" is a previous firmware version. There is not a method for screen customization but I will add that as a feature request. The experience score is a health indication, for instance if a device is connected on 2.4Ghz and has weak signal its score will decrease. UniFi also uses the experience score, I will update you with a more in depth overview.

• @Daniel-Connolly I believe you need to take a step back about what to expect a $400+ router is suppose to do... if the screen is too techie and not "clean" (simple) enough for you you might want to consider something along the line of Amazon's Securifi Almond which also has a display screen, but drastically cheaper and drastically lower in performance.

The display is an added feature not theeeeee feature. Currently there is no Wifi 6 router with tri-band (even though it's not advertised as a tri-band) and the only other variant is another Amplifi router, HD and Gamer Edition (among others in their lineup). I feel as if you're griping about all the wrong reasons about this routers. If you take a minute and touch the Wifi Experience section on either your phone/webui/display screen it is plain as day when you see that all your connections are graded by percentage which will depict that it's the signal strength of your device to your router/AP which will also depict whether you're having a good or bad wifi experience, wouldn't you say?

I also thought, "Hey, why shouldn't I be able to customize my 274x1268 screen with something more, me..." and then it dawned on me, that it would be a waste... being that the devices probably has a limited amount of storage space mainly for their firmware upgrades/updates the common user might upload things to their router which would look distorted and maybe even cause issues with the router itself...

• I wish there was an updated guide to explain what everything means on the display.

• @Mike-P I believe the display screen is pretty straight forward... I'm acutally hoping they make an advanced version of their GUI's... the the only thing I missed about my old ASUS routers... their ridiculous amounts of settings you can tweak!

• @Damir-Alonso I have no clue what the wifi experience is, what affects it, and how to improve it.

• @Mike-P wifi experience is the overall quality of your connection throughout your house/connected devices... the higher the number the optimal the connection is. the lower well... you know. I don't know the exact algorithm but I believe it depends on range/distance of device to connected router, signal strength and quality of speed/connectivity. To improve it is to find the best placement within your home free of any distortions, open air locations or somewhere high up like mounted on a wall or ceiling (these are optional of course). Try to find the least amount of wall or things that might get in the way of the signal like AC and mirrors which can reflect and degrade signal strength (AC would be EMD/P or ESD (Electromagnetic Discharge/Pulse or Electrostatic Discharge) these can reduce the overall quality of your wifi, also types of insulation used in your house.

After you determine the "right for you" location run tests throughout your house with your phone looking at your signal strength... you can use apps like Wifi Analyzer and Speedtest by Ookla, both are free to use... you can determine the speeds from where tested and stength of your wifi... mind you test different services they're not all created equally. If you find weak or dead spots then you can consider another router to mesh things up.

• I believe you need to take a step back...

Hi @Damir-Alonso - if I take one more step back, even with 20/10 vision, I really won't be able to discern any details on that screen...

...what to expect a $400+ router is suppose to do...
    The display is an added feature not theeeeee feature.

As you noted, AmpliFi marketed the LCD as a very KEY feature for the UI/UX on the HD range of routers meant to simplify the product and the setup experience, especially for the non-technical user

Ripping of the LCD display from the rumored UDM-SE (which is meant for the advanced technical user) and opportunistically adding it as a feature on the Alien is very "nice to have", but making it the primary display arguably goes against AmpliFi's previous brand image strategy...versus a "simple" & "clean" UI as implemented on the HD & Instant routers with the ability to swipe to more detailed displays on demand

If AmpliFi and UniFi are to have the same LCD user interface, then why bother segmenting the brands anymore?

Cost is also irrelevant
    AmpliFi has never cared about a cost equating to expectations
    Otherwise a $400+ router should allow things like disabling DHCP, turning off radios, modifying the subnet mask, etc. ad nauseam...
    On the contrary, AmpliFi takes an Apple-esque approach wanting to 'protect' users from the need to understand such 'advanced' features and setup procedures (i.e. hard coding the mesh points in a kit, no complete Web UI for setup)

Queue the arguments "AmpliFi is for home use including BOTH technical and non-technical users...UniFi is for Enterprise/SMB and NOT for home use, even though the UDM marketing material explicitly states "for homes and businesses"...

• @Derek-Saville then you might have to put on your glasses...

The display feature is a perk/gimmick/marketing to get people to buy the pretty in the device rather than it's functionality... same way people buy cars. Some people would by German cars for "German precision" but in the end they're costly to maintain and very unreliable (every single BMW 3 series every single 2.0L T VW/Audi... yet, people buy them for their technological leaps and how good looking and "refined" they are. Same rules apply to tech... you have the Alien and the UDM... similar product presentations... different color cylinder-like router one with a display and the other without... (minus the tech spec list). The common consumer focuses on aesthetics and what is the latest without understanding it's functionality. There s a Wifi 6 stamped on it, it must be good right? Pin up an RT-AX88U with is similarly priced to the Alien... even though similar and backed by a mainstream brand which makes things familiar than Ubiquiti (again we're talking about common consumers who know brands like Netgear/Linksys/ASUS/TP-Link etc...) and often don't do research to get a quality product and then come to community forums to gripe in a very bad tone as the OP has, complaining over aesthetics and their lack of understanding when google is only a few key strokes away to answer all questions.

All these devices within Ubiquiti's lineup can be used in either a business environment or home... depending on the knowledge of it's users. If you have the knowledge to understand your products and use/needs within your home just because the brand markets it for business doesn't mean it won't be useful in the home, you'll just need less to operate in your home. Yet, if you have 50 clients at home (highly unlikely) then who's to say you can fill your house with UniFi products? They themselves are breaking the boundaries with the UDM.

Granted a $400 router doesn't have to be overkill like ASUS normally implements in their WebUI with tons of features and the Alien can do the same but have an easier interface for novice and advanced for other users not a completely different product line with limitations so the end-user won't screw things up. The Alien and the HD Gamer Edition are targets both the gamer users whom are enthusiasts and love to tinker with things...( overclocking GPU's/CPU's/RAM water cooling) why not the Alien as well with features that can be controls and have that expandability and simplicity at the same time... again, if is a $400 router. I bought into it due to the hype and reviews which made it attractive... and the performance proof I got once installed. Also, their 15 year+ history in the market really shines on their reliability and quality in their devices.

The Alien can be for both common end-users and enthusiasts alike... I don't like forced implementation or lack there of in features knowingly that these devices can handle the work load.