Call for Feature Requests #1

• More options for SSID and password management. I would prefer to have different SSID's for the different speed options. One for an autosensing, one for 2.4Ghz only, and one for 5Ghz, with the ability to have different passwords and to selectively hide the SSIDs. Having only 1 password and having it spam out SSID's is really annoying especially when you add in the guest network. Living with many near neighbors we already have enough extra SSID's.

• @ubnt-gunars I'm sure it's been mentioned - don't have time to look - but I would like to see total control of the LAN side of the router. I would like to set my own private network subnet instead of being restricted, use a different DHCP server, etc,.

• Love the concept of the AmpliFi HD…but the AC 1750 is the downside. Will an AC3200 or AC4000 be forthcoming in the next year or so? I would purchase that in an heartbeat. The AC1750 is the only issue I have as with 25+ devices accessing the system the 1750 becomes problematic and a potential bottleneck. I want to purchase your product because everything else about your product is top of the line and modern!

Feature request: increase to AC3200 or AC4000

• OpenVPN support. I just realized how easy it is to set this up on my previous Netgear R7000 router so I'm hoping to do the same with the Amplifi.

• @david-stamp I agree that an upgraded version to AC3200 or AC4000 is a must. AC1750 is out dated and results in bottlenecks. Everything else about this system is great...but this is a major drawback.

• @hendricus-lulofs If your home is wired, you can use wired backhaul mesh (because our routers can work as mesh points). In that case Wi-Fi is unlikely to be the bottleneck. Besides, higher speeds only work at close distances, which goes against how people normally set up their mesh network.

• @ubnt-gunars said in Call for Feature Requests #1:

@hendricus-lulofs If your home is wired, you can use wired backhaul mesh (because our routers can work as mesh points).

Elsewhere on the forum someone reported that each router can have only a single wired backhaul attached - is that true?

If yes, then please consider a feature request to allow multiple wired backhauls from a single router, either directly at LAN ports 1-4 or via a single LAN port and switch.

• @derek-saville said in Call for Feature Requests #1:

each router can have only a single wired backhaul

Hi Derek! I don't think there is a limitation like that.

• Please add for setting control for guest Network. Setting bandwidth is important and parental control or website control. More control on wireless setup would be nice

• Not sure if it's been mentioned already but better firewall control would be good, eg. the ability to block IPs.

• WPA3
    openVPN
    dark interface

• @ubnt-gunars I have that setup and whatever I try it only sees 1 router if i set it up see my feature request. according to the chat leana, you can only daisychain routers to each other in backhaul mode and not have 2 connected to the primairy router.
    see my other post

• Here is my feature request, I posted in the beta section but will post here so users can view who are not enrolled in beta:
    Amplifi can solve 99% of their issues I read on these forums by adding ONE SINGLE feature to their system/iPhone App:
    Step 1: Choose a Device from Client List.
    Step 2: Assign/Force Device Permanent Connection to Specific Mesh Point or Router.

Now, I understand that typically the client chooses the network and band, not the router. Separate SSIDs would be a workaround to achieve the goal, but Amplifi can make a user friendly way to set up each device as I suggested above from their app and separate SSIDs would automatically be set up for the customer based on their client settings provided. Amplifi seems to have attempted something similar to this already using "Band Steering".

Here are some good examples of how the system should operate:
    A smart wifi light switch in the same room as Mesh Point 1 should never connect to anything besides Mesh Point 1 @ 5ghz; since this is a stationary device that never moves and receives the best connectivity and speed from Mesh Point 1 @ 5ghz. Currently, this device attempts to connect to Mesh Point 2 @ 2.4ghz which is two rooms away and has reduced signal and speed. No idea why.
    An iPhone would have the ability to switch to whichever router or mesh point it prefers, if you wanted. HOWEVER, if you found that in your home your iPhone achieved the best connectivity and speed from connecting directly to your router at 5ghz regardless of where you were in your house, simply set it to connect to router only at 5ghz and ignore all other mesh points.
    Your Smart TV is stationary in your living room with Mesh Point 1 BUT after testing you found out that it achieves best connectivity and speed from connecting directly to your router which is a room away, then simply set it to connect to your router only and ignore all other mesh points.

I feel as if Amplifi set up a system to work as described above, it would become one of the best home network devices available to date because a user would have full control over a unified home network and ability to fine tune and resolve their connectivity issues easily. 🙂

• @joe-madison Didn't even think of that. Is it so that if I see a Amplifi and I pop open the app, that'd I'd unrestricted access to the victims network? Hmmmm.

• @karl-stanton No, you have to be logged into the router via your app, but people who share devices like tablets (I have a family tablet that at first I installed the Amplifi app on) anyone using that device has unrestricted access to your router and its settings. My kids could have taken the tablet and changed the WiFi passwords, played with which devices were granted internet, or more importantly, changed the admin password on my router without so much as a PIN slowing them down. Thankfully I immediately recognized this flaw and uninstalled the app. Now it's only on my phone, which is secured, but not everyone does that either.

Essentially the problem is that there's no way to log out of the Amplifi app (without manually clearing app data), and there's no way to lock the Amplifi app, so any device you install it on and log into it gives anyone with access to that device full control over your network.

• Please add support for custom Subnet Mask for the DHCP server. Currently, the default 255.255.255.0 is all that is supported.
    Adding this will allow a larger IP range in the DHCP server and allow the ability to segment different parts of the network with separate IP ranges from seeing each other.

for example:
    Segment 1 (Admin Access) would have a subnet of 255.255.248.0 with an IP range of 192.168.0.1 -192.168.7.255 (1700+ effective IP addresses). This segment would be able to see all devices inside this IP range on the network.

Segment 2 (Accounting Access) would have a subnet of 255.255.255.0 with an IP range of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. Where they can see everything in there block but not see assets outside their segment.

other segments can be created with other IP ranges, each segment would have its own DHCP server and range which I am handling without the Amplifi. But on segment 1 for this to work correctly, a custom subnet mask needs to be set on the Amplifi. As other routers allow (Asus, Netgear, Belkin, Juniper ... ) and Ubnt products also allow.

• Open API (IoT-style) for displaying custom content on lcd from home automation system (like Home Assistant). It wold be nice feature to be able to display room temperature on the lcd. Or even better, use Amplifi's touch screen to control Christmas tree lights.

• Need support for vlan / port mapping, and dns masq.

I need this to support iptv, my ISP only provide a customized router for internet connection and iptv, to replace it, it requires special dns masq options and connect STB to a port which mapped to special vlan.

• @UBNT-Gunars Make a top 5 and close this thread because this one is spammed full.
    And of course make a "Call for Feature Request part 2" 😉

• OpenVPN support please!