Need to expand coverage to outside. Should I add another Mesh Point or another (wired) HD router?

• Hello all,

I've been reading a few posts regarding the best way to expand coverage, and it seems like everyone is saying another HD router that is wired is the best way to go.

My home is 3400 sq./ft.,2 stories plus a basement, built in 1924 in the Hollywood Hills. Walls and ceilings are original lathe and plaster. Each floor is about 1600 sq ft, and the basement has a small 200 sq ft studio, plus about 500-700 unfinished. House is built into a hill.

I'm installing a video doorbell at our gate, and I need a stronger signal. Right now, I have the HD kit, with the router in the back of the house on the main floor, one mesh point in the basement towards the front of the house, and one mesh point on the 2nd floor, towards the front of the house. Basement has a weak connection according to iOS app, and the signal outside by our gate and pool is weak, which is the closest to the basement.

I am thinking that running a wired HD router to the basement would greatly improve the signal, there is a window in the basement towards the front of the house that I think can push the signal.

Or I was thinking about adding another Mesh Point to the front side of the 1st floor, so the Mesh Point in the basement can piggyback off that. Because my house is built into a hill, the front of the house looks like a 3 story building because the basement and foundation is exposed...there is no basement in the back of the house.

Thank you for your time! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• @Lee-Sumners Usually video doorbells, and other smart home devices don't need much upload/download, so you could realistically use either the hardwired HD or the wireless HD mesh point if its sole purpose is for the doorbell. The wired HD will perform better if you have other devices that will benefit from your signal being broadcasted from that location, and in addition to that the HD router as a mesh point is also stronger in terms of antenna and processor which may be needed depending on how much signal is lost through those exterior walls. That is the difficult part, it's very hard to determine how the signal will penetrate outside until you set it up to test.

You said you have the HD kit? For a test, you could take one of your mesh points and place it in those areas you would consider adding a new mesh, just to see how the signal would actually penetrate the walls and what performance you would get out at your front gate.

• @UI-Brett Thanks for the reply!

One more question: if I wired the additional HD router, would the Mesh Points from the kit connect to the additional Router?

Or are they limited to connecting only to the HD router from the kit?

I read on here in other posts that they are coded to each other.

Thanks!

• @Lee-Sumners said in Need to expand coverage to outside. Should I add another Mesh Point or another (wired) HD router?:

if I wired the additional HD router, would the Mesh Points from the kit connect to the additional Router?

Yes, once they are meshed together, if the throughput was better from the RAMP (router as a mesh point), then the mesh point would get its connection there.

The information you read is referring to how the mesh points from a kit cannot be separated from their original kit and used with another system. But in regards to one mesh network, they will all communicate with each other.