Add HD Router to existing Gamer Edition network

• I think the answer to this is yes, but just wanted to check with people who've been using Amplifi HD units a lot longer than the week I have! 🙂

Have setup the mesh network with the Gamer edition router (in bridge mode - using ISP router) in my study where the switch, VDSL connection etc. is. In the future, we'll be getting a FTTP connection and there's a good chance that this will only be installed to a ground level room (study is upstairs).

If that is the case, what I was thinking I could do is purchase a stand alone Amplifi router, add it into the existing mesh network and plug that into the FTTP router downstairs, then the mesh network would allow connectivity to the upstairs Amplifi router (bridge mode) and allow rest of the devices connected via wired network access to the FTTP connection.

Essentially:

ISP FTTP Router downstairs --wired-- Amplifi HD bridge 2 (new)
    --wireless mesh--
    Amplifi HD bridge 1 (existing) upstairs --wired to switch-- wired devices

So all the wired devices into the switch will be able to access the FTTP router without having to run extra cables into the dining room and essentially rewire the whole house.

Will that work with the Amplifi units?

Cheers
    Paul

• @EvilShubunkin said in Add HD Router to existing Gamer Edition network:

then the mesh network would allow connectivity to the upstairs Amplifi router (bridge mode) and allow rest of the devices connected via wired network access to the FTTP connection.

Just to clarify, when the FTTP connection is installed, you would lose the ISP connection upstairs, but the switch will be kept in that location.

If thats the case, the only flaw in your plan would be that the Gamer's Edition router has to be in the primary position. So you would move the Gamer's Edition router to the basement, mesh the new stand alone AmpliFi router (not bridge mode) and connect it upstairs (either wirelessly or through wired backhaul, where wired backhaul is preferred) Then wire the switch to your meshed RAMP (router as a mesh point)

• Thanks Brett.

My thinking was about right then. Yes the current VDSL line terminates in the study upstairs and that will be gone, but all the cabling in the house goes into the study where there's a 16 port switch.

Hopefully installer on the day will be feeling helpful and run the fibre on the outside of the house to the study which will make life a lot simpler but if they don't then at least I know there's an option using the Amplifi products that will work.

Cheers
    Paul