MU-MIMO support?

• Is the AmpliFi Mesh Router or the Mesh points capable for supporting MU-MIMO?

• I am also interested in learning whether this feature, which I do not think is currently supported, is on the roadmap? I saw a review on a tech website that mentioned support for MU-MIMO being a planned feature.

• So the hardware of the AmpliFi is capable for supporting MU-MIMO?

• Current revision of Amplifi hardware does not support MU-MIMO.

• does anyone actually know if this is the case still? Someone from the mfg maybe?

• Can any developer here provide an update?

If there is no plan to change this I will definitely have to return and purchase another mesh solution. MU-MIMO is a standard that has been available for way too long for this not to be a part of this solution.

• I too want know when this is a thing.
    I'm excited for a relase that includes it.

• @adrian-otoole MIMO supported but not MU-MIMO

However I have not had any issues with my HD Router. Very happy with it and I have up to 16 devices connected at any one time.👍

0_1528725674928_mimo.JPG

• @adrian-otoole @UBNT-Gunars Although saying that, MU-MIMO is associated with AC band technology and the Amplifi HD is definitely capable of that ?. Maybe one of the Amplifi Tech's could clear this one up?

• I'm curious why you all think you need MU-MIMO? Because you've heard it's "the" thing to have? How many of you actually have the user density to necessitate MU-MIMO, and at least two MU-MIMO capable devices to support it? Do you really think it's going to make any real, impactful difference on you home networks? I'd say -- NOPE!

• @ethan-kozak I agree 27 devices on my network, and no issues.

• @ethan-kozak The point for most (I'm guessing) is that there is a hesitancy to buy into a solution that they are going to hold for 3-4 years without knowing what the capabilities will be. There was a time when 802.11N was in "draft" mode and people were buying G devices and asking about N. At the time, most ISPs in my country were running ~6Mb/s and there was a lot of people saying you don't need N because you are limited to an ISP's bandwidth and nobody came close. Within a year of N being available I could get a 100Mb/s connection that would have over-run my G capabilities.

If these were individual discrete devices you could justify buying now and not waiting, but because the whole thing is an integrated system, you'll live with it for a lot longer and having the best capability becomes a concern.

• @john-fruehe said in MU-MIMO support?:

At the time, most ISPs in my country were running ~6Mb/s and there was a lot of people saying you don't need N because you are limited to an ISP's bandwidth and nobody came close.

Those people were definitely wrong.

Back in 2007 (a few jobs ago) we have seen this particular use case: we were unable to pass 7 Mbps video stream over 11g. Then we quickly replaced the router by one of the very first 11n draft devices - and miracle has happened! That's because 11n has an advantage of A-MPDU and 2x2 MIMO. These things really help in congested and/or noisy environment.

• MU-MIMO is not a mandatory part of 11ac. It is not supported by current HW. The next Amplifi model highly likely will support MU-MIMO. But do not expect miracles from it. Its advantages are noticeable only in synthetic test and some very specific workloads.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.