What is backbone in meshpoint settings?

• I feel this kind of question has been asked already, I am confused what backbone even does. Does it determine how the meshpoint connects to the router? Is it the band the meshpoint tries to connect other devices to? I don’t know. I know the differences between 2.4ghz and 5ghz, but I don’t know what backbone means

• @Qu9ke said in What is backbone in meshpoint settings?:

Does it determine how the meshpoint connects to the router?

Yes.

If it is connected via 5Ghz, the network broadcast from that mesh point will be dual band (2.4 & 5) If you select 2.4Ghz, it will only broadcast 2.4.

If you have devices that need 2.4 only, it is recommended to not change the backbone, but rather enable an additional 2.4Ghz only SSID from that mesh point.

• @UI-Brett So I guess if a meshpoint is in an area of the house that typically has devices that do not require the extra speed that 5ghz provides to just enable another SSID at 2.4ghz in that meshpoint, but leave the backbone of that point at 5ghz?

• @Qu9ke You could, or the system will work with the devices so they can free roam between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz when needed. I suggest leaving everything at default, and only using the additional SSID's if needed.

• @UI-Brett Two more question just so I can better understand this. Say I have the backbone in a meshpoint set to 5ghz. Does that mean that certain meshpoint looks for a 5ghz signal from the router to be able to connect to the router? If so does that mean if the backbone is set to 5ghz that the meshpoint will require being closer to the router with less obstructions for a stronger signal? That’s my first question(s).

Second question is this... when using multiple meshpoints, do they all have to connect to the main router, or can they piggy back off of eachother’s signal if needed?

Thanks for the help.

• @Qu9ke said in What is backbone in meshpoint settings?:

Say I have the backbone in a meshpoint set to 5ghz. Does that mean that certain meshpoint looks for a 5ghz signal from the router to be able to connect to the router? If so does that mean if the backbone is set to 5ghz that the meshpoint will require being closer to the router with less obstructions for a stronger signal? That’s my first question(s).

Yes, that is correct. 5Ghz will give you better performance, but reduced range compared to 2.4Ghz

when using multiple meshpoints, do they all have to connect to the main router, or can they piggy back off of eachother’s signal if needed?

Ideally, they get the signal directly from the router. The least amount of hops the data has to travel through, the better the performance (usually). In cases where the overall distance is being stretched, the mesh points can communicate via another mesh point if the router cannot be seen or if the throughput from the router is not as great as from a mesh point.