Alien Hangs on Reboot.

• Has anyone tried rebooting Alien and it doesn't boot up all the way? Today, it got to 99% and stopped right there. Not the first time, either. Had to pull the power and boot it up again.

• @Chris-H-0 Did it boot up after the power cycle? This has happened before and we are investigating it, however this could be just a one time boot up error.

• @UI-AmpliFi I did a reboot from the phone app. It didn't come back on. Display said 'restarting' I believe. I waited many minutes and then pulled the power cord. This time, it stopped at 99% Showed 99% inside a circle on the display. I waited and again, pulled the power cord. This time, it started normally.

• The next time I try a reboot, I promise to document it better. Pictures, times etc. Thanks.

• @UI-AmpliFi Every time. Should I write a ticket or wait for a fix?

• @Chris-H-0 You can file an RMA on the unit, if it does this consistently then it may have a defect.

• Question: With other Alien users experiencing similar issues, has anyone looked to see if there is any EXTERNAL commonality? Say, whether they all live in hot climates like Texas or Arizona? Which, if any surge protector brand or smart plug brand they’re using (or not using anything)? What temperature range their houses/apartments/townhomes are in, or any recent electrical (thunderstorms) storms? These could all play a part too.

Our Alien routers (2) are working fine. We live in Texas, with indoor temp set to 74° and rarely getting above 78°, with humidity averaging 50%. The Aliens are plugged into Amazon’s 15 amp smart plugs.

• Good idea. On the LCD it shows your system temp and fan speed. Mine is 150 degrees F and fan speed is 2500 RPM.

Anyone else?

• @Chris-H-0 you missed my point. What are the conditions IN YOUR HOUSE, NOT the Alien router itself. What is the climate like where you live, do you use air conditioning, if so what temps is it set to? How humid is it where you are? Do you use a surge protector or not? That kind d thing. We are trying to find out what EXTERNAL factor could be causing the router problems.

• @Richard1864

Can you tell me how you've configured backhaul between the Aliens? What internet DL rates do you get from the Alien that's configured as a MESH point (in comparison to the one connected directly to your WAN access device?

Thanks so much,
    Jim Robertson

• @jsrnephdoc my backhaul is wireless, with three walls between Alien router and RAMP (Router As Mesh Point). Speed test results are fresh as of 10:23 am CDT. My internet tier is 1 Gbps down and 35 Mbps up. The router gets 765 Mbps down and 52 Mbps up on the internal speed test. There is no internal speed test for the RAMP. Speed between router and RAMP are 1179.6 Mbps down and 1131.7 Mbps up. My iPhone 11 Pro Max got 791 Mbps down and 54 Mbps on the RAMP and 869 Mbps down and 51 Mbps up on the router.

• @Richard1864 Those are impressive speeds thank you for sharing.

• @UI-AmpliFi thank you. I forgot to mention that I’m using the Arris Surfboard T25 Voice Data modem, after going through 3 of Xfinity’s newest XB7 gateways. The XB7’s have multiple issues including poorly written firmware, major cooling issues caused by defective cooling fans (the fans stop running after 300-odd hours), and Ethernet ports that can’t maintain speeds above 400 Mbps; Xfinity has confirmed these are known issues with no timeframe on the fixes. The $25 monthly rental fee for the XB7 gateway is also nasty.

• @Richard1864

All I can say is "Wow!!!!!!!!"

Jim

• @jsrnephdoc thank you. How is your Alien system working?

• @Richard1864

It's been installed (single unit) for only 4 days. My ISP is Spectrum; I'm paying for 400 mbps DL, and with my iMac about 10 feet from the router, the average DL rates are reported as 400-450 mbps. Howeve, once my OLED 4K TV is turned on (connected to one of the Alien's LAN ports, NOT on WiFi) those speedtest reports turn disgusting, just now DL 184.36 and UL 14.42. That disparity is even WORSE when the tests are run from my MacBook Pro which is upstairs and about 40 ft away from the router (454.34 LD and 24.54 UL if the TV is off, but quite variable, last 65 DL and 1.86 UL (awful!!!!!!).

I'm going to check with the ISP, because I didn't see reports like this in the first 3 days. (Although I cannot be certain the TV wasn't on during any of my prior tests, the TV is hard-wired to the Alien, so I cannot see how the TV's on or off status would affect my speedtest.net results

On my WiFi 6 iPhone I'm doing no better, but of course the ISP is likely limiting me there. I can purchase gigabit DL rates, but that requires $200 service charge to make certain the local infrastructure is adequate and a service premium of over $60 extra per month.

• @jsrnephdoc it sounds to me like something on the ISP side is causing the issues, almost like a bad splitter somewhere.