XBOX keeps duplicating itself

• I have an odd issue. We are trying to lock down my sons XBOX time so I created a Profile w his XBOX, PC and Cell phone. However, I have noticed that he is still playing XBOX when it was supposed to be paused. When I looked at his profile, the XBOX was indeed selected. Then I noticed ANOTHER XBOX that wasn't selected. Upon further review, I noticed a bunch of XBOXes that all appear to have the same MAC address. Any idea what's going on here or how to prevent/fix this?

alt text

https://i.imgur.com/ibH6lVL.jpg

• Sorry, I don't know how to post images.

• @Monte-Montemayor MAC ID's can be modified within the Xbox settings, and the family profiles are configured based on MAC ID's. I have yet to test how this would show in the app, because from what you are showing all Xbox's show the same MAC. You cannot permanently change the MAC ID of a device, so my assumption is that every time you block the xbox, he changes the MAC ID again, which takes the old record and displays the true MAC ID.

Here is a post on Microsofts Community that is very similar to what you are experiencing as well

• You might instead try to outsmart him by blocking the ports necessary for the xBox to run correctly on the network. I'm not sure if that is an option in the Alien, as I am using it in Bridge Mode. I don't really want to spend more for test units 🙂

Also if you enable IPV6 perhaps you can block it with that IPV6 address further exasperating your son.

Here are the ports to try to block;

xBoxOne 56455 192.168.0.15 BOTH
    xBoxOne 88,500,3544,4500 192.168.0.15 UDP
    xBoxOne 3074 192.168.0.15 BOTH

Sounds like a fun project. I wonder out loud, how is he connecting wireless or Ethernet?

Is the kid winning by not being able to get him/her to follow a few simple rules?

• @unseenone said in XBOX keeps duplicating itself:

Is the kid winning by not being able to get him/her to follow a few simple rules?

Thanks for the ideas on the ports. I do think I'll investigate that. As for the kid "winning", I don't see it that way. If 13 y/o boys simply did what they were told, then we wouldn't need the function of screen time in the first place would we? We would say, "OK Junior, at 10:00 turn off your XBOX and tuck yourself in bed". If we simply punished kids every time they messed up, every kid would probably be on restriction well into their 30's. In fact, I would probably still be on restriction and I am in my 50's.

• Please note, I use a fixed IP, as pictured above, and that is not part of the the ports, and not IPV6 as noted above. I use DHCP but manually assign all my IP's.

You could also use just fixed IP address ranges, manually assign all IP's on all your addresses, and revoke the IP for the xBox as well.

• @unseenone OK everyone, looks like I need some guidance. I tried this but can't figure out the port forwarding at all. Does the Alien Amplifi allow me to create a separate network, password protect it, and then allow me to control when that network is on or off? If so, is there a YouTube that shows me how to do this?

I made it into the XBOX Advance Setting and I can clearly see where he's shuffling the MAC address. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Microsoft would include this feature.

• @Monte-Montemayor said in XBOX keeps duplicating itself:

Does the Alien Amplifi allow me to create a separate network, password protect it, and then allow me to control when that network is on or off?

You could use the Guest network. However he may have NAT issues if he uses online gaming with chat features.

• OK - Plan B. I am going to incorporate the guest network idea but I have 1 hang up. He knows our main household PW. Can I deliberately BLOCK a device? Or.. if he does the Change MAC Address thing, he can get back in? You may be saying, just change the household PW. That is a last resort. I have a SmartHome with a ton of devices that are not easy to change (like the Front Door and Garage Door). But I will if I can't deliberately BLOCK his MAC address from our Main Household SSID.

• @Monte-Montemayor said in XBOX keeps duplicating itself:

You may be saying, just change the household PW. That is a last resort

If he knows the password and can modify the MAC ID, then changing the password may be your only resort within AmpliFi if you plan on placing his device on the Guest Network.

• @Richard1864 said in XBOX keeps duplicating itself:

Have you tried locking down the XBox itself?
    Many kids these days have their MSFT account through their school. I don't have access to control anything w that. I have played w the parental controls in the XBOX but there does not appear to be a way to Password Protect admin access in the XBOX. ie: I can set it up but he can simply go it and undo, the re-do it. I am probably making my kid sound like a monster. He's a great kid but today's teens are pretty addicted to this.