Add Mesh Points to Alien

• Hello, I own an Amplifi Alien and I'm super happy with the product. I'm just wondering how I order a separate mesh point? I'm moving into a bigger home in 2 months and I will need the additional coverage. Also, I'm from Canada.
    Thank you!

• @Eric-Costa The Alien mesh point is not sold separately, only in the Alien kit priced $699 on the AmpliFi store. The Alien router however can be added to another Alien router to create a mesh network, with each Alien router at $379.

The biggest difference between buying the kit vs two Alien routers, and the $60 savings, is because the mesh point does not have the LCD screen display, nor the 4 port LAN switch on the back. Some users for this reason, prefer two stand alone Alien router.

• Could you not simply add one of the mesh stick antenna from the Ampliphi HD kit to act as a mesh point?

• @Dexter-Doo No, the HD and the Alien are not compatible with each other.

• It might be useful to point out, that if you want to do Mesh, according to support you need to purchase the kit first, than additional standalone routers as nodes. I almost bought 3, then decided to get a kit, and 1 standalone. I could not get it to setup, using the standalone first (as the primary) I contacted support, and they walked me through putting the kit one in as a primary, then everything went like clockwork. I am unsure why this is, or what the difference is if any. It is would be an important point to make prior to purchase however. I do not see a reason why there should be ANY difference between the standalone and the set unit (with the panel).

Nice Gear though...

• ...if you want to do Mesh, according to support you need to purchase the kit first, than additional standalone routers as nodes.

Hi @unseenone - unfortunately that was incorrect advice from support

You can mesh 2 or 3+ standalone Alien routers, and many people strongly prefer NOT to use the kit because the Alien kit mesh points are hard coded to the router and cannot be separated, so if the router dies, the mesh point becomes useless

The Alien kit's cost savings may not be worth the loss of the LCD, loss of the additional Ethernet ports, and the potential loss of both units should the router die

I could not get it to setup, using the standalone first (as the primary)...I am unsure why this is...

Because of the hard coded paring, the kit router must be the primary router of the mesh, otherwise the kit mesh point would not be able to join

So you are limited to one Alien kit per Alien mesh as well

But you can mesh as many standalone Alien units together, or to a single Alien kit, as you wish...

• @Derek-Saville said in Add Mesh Points to Alien:

ecause the Alien kit

Thanks for that. I initially setup the standalone unit, no problems. I then proceeded to try and get the Kit one to work, and I could not get it to work. They had me configure the kit one first, and then the standalone and it worked fine. I am not sure why-- but I agree, it is best to by the standalone units, rather than the kit.

To clarify, I have one kit and one standalone operating Kit, one additional as node, 3 total units, and it is working, very constant performance.