IPV6 not working for xfinity

• when i enable ipv6 it is not working i have it off but would like to be able to use it . Current setup is the xfinity xb7 modem on bridge mode and my amplifi alien router .

• @BlakRhyTheM IPv6 is a feature designed for communicating from your home, back to the ISP. If your ISP does not support IPv6 in your area, this feature will not work. Please make sure Xfinity has IPv6 for your area and service.

• Wow...OK I really did TRY to just move on after reading your response to BlakRhyTheM. But I was laughing so hard I just couldn't let it pass. As an engineer who works with people around the globe to assist with migrations from IPv4 to IPv6, I have to tell you that I've never heard anyone make up an answer quite as bad as that one.

IPv6 is NOT and NEVER WAS a "feature designed for communicating from your home, back to the ISP." IPv6 IS a 128 bit addressing scheme to which the entire popluation of this planet will be required to migrate, in the very near future. That is, IF the person in question hopes to remain in communication with the rest of said population.

And for what it's worth, an IPv6 address, prefix, or subnet delegation from your local ISP is not a requirement for being able to use IPv6. A number of organizations across the Internet --like Hurricane Electric/HE.net for one- provide IPv6 address allocations and connectivity by "tunneling" IPv6 through a standard IPv4 connection. I've personally had an IPv6 tunnel connection from HE.net for over 12 years now. I actually refuse IPv6 service from my local ISP (Comcast) and instead continue to use the Hurricane tunnel specifically because it allows me to have my own /48 of address space --which I've also had for the past 12 years or more.

If you aren't familiar with the pros and cons of IPv6 and how it works, HE.net also offers IPv6 training online for free. And in fact before I work with any new company on an IPv6 migration, all migration team members have to take that training class and pass the test at the end of it. It should be a requirement for anyone providing technical support for networking hardware and/or services as well. Because now that the world has run out of IPv4 address space, understanding IPv6 and it's advantages will be a requirement for anyone who wishes to remain relevant and employed in the tech sector/industry.

IPv6 Internet backbone speeds are generally faster and utilize newer equipment for routing and connectivity at peering locations between providers. If you don't believe me, do the research yourself. Because I promise you that IPv6 is not only here to stay...it's here to take over the world. 😉

-GeauxTigers

PS- LSU was the first school in the nation to be not just 100% IPv6 compliant, but 100% IPv6 deployed, across all campus locations. Another fun fact, Facebook is 100% IPv6 ONLY on their internal network, with all of their code being written for v6 by default. IPv4 code support is only written into the public facing Facebook infrastructure to support legacy users who don't yet have IPv6 connectivity. And their software dev people have been quoted saying they dream of the day that they no longer have to support IPv4 code.