Extend the guest network

• Apologies if this has been covered, I didn't find an answer here in the forums or the manual. I am looking for a solution to extend a guest network to a standalone short term rental unit. The current guest network is regulated to 2.4GHz, and it doesn't do very well going across the driveway and through the walls. Amplifi HD looks to be a great solution, simply putting a meshpoint in the rental unit, but can someone please verify that the meshpoint will extend BOTH the regular and guest network, or simply just the guest network? Thank you!

• @Tvanderbrook said in Extend the guest network:

can someone please verify that the meshpoint will extend BOTH the regular and guest network, or simply just the guest network?
    If you have the AmpliFi HD system managing your entire network, both the guest and primary network will be extended with the AmpliFi mesh point.

If you are using the mesh point in extender 3rd party mode (AmpliFi is not your primary router), then the mesh point will ask you to connect to a network you wish to extend. It would then only extend the network you connect it to.

• @UI-AmpliFi Thank you so much for your reply. In the scenario I am wondering about, Amplifi would be the primary router (assuming that it can be set up directly to AT&T fiber). In this case, will the mesh point be able to extend the guest network?

• @Tvanderbrook To my knowledge, ATT has to have their device as the primary router, which means AmpliFi would be placed in Bridge Mode with a direct ethernet connection to the ATT router.
    You would then disable the wireless broadcast on the ATT router to reduce interference. This would allow AmpliFi to extend both the primary network, and the guest network.

Some users have reported that the IP Passthrough option on ATT works, which would allow you to keep AmpliFi out of Bridge Mode and acting primary. However most face difficulties with that configuration, so for that portion you would want to consult with ATT to verify compatibility in your environment.

• @UI-AmpliFi Fantastic, thank you for your insight. It looks like the Amplifi HD will work for my situation!

• @UI-AmpliFi Am re-reading this, and I'm not sure if this satisfies what I'm asking. Just to clarify, the AmpliFi is capable of not only creating a main and a guest network (as a "tunnel" to the internet only), but the extenders will extend BOTH the network AND the guest network. My issue is we have a guest rental that is in a standalone building using the guest network, but the signal strength from the current 2.5GHz guest network is weak, slow, and can not be extended.

• @Tvanderbrook said in Extend the guest network:

but the extenders will extend BOTH the network AND the guest network

AmpliFi creates a mesh network, which means the router and all mesh points on your network will broadcast the same SSID and password. This is the same for the Primary network and the guest network.

Additional unique SSID's can be created at each mesh location as well as the router if you need band separation, but they will maintain the same network connectivity on the back end.

If you are replacing your current networking equipment with AmpliFi, then this system will work in the environment you just described. If you are planning on only using an AmpliFi MeshPoint to extend an existing 3rd party network, then you have to select which network you would like to extend, so it would not extend both the primary and the guest.

• @UI-AmpliFi Okay, thanks for the clarification. In the mean time, I had ordered a network extender for the AT&T provided ARRIS BGW210 router, but it turns out that it can only extend the main network. I am glad to hear this system will solve my issue!