Missing settings and web interface for AmpliFi HD Router

• I'm looking for the settings for my HD Router described in the user guide (https://amplifi.com/docs/AmpliFi_UG.pdf) on page 20. The screenshots show sections for General, Internet, and Wireless under the Settings heading. All I can see in the app myself are some general things, mostly information and display settings and nothing for the network configuration. I'm also trying to see settings through the web interface but when I go there all I see is "Download the AmpliFi App" with links to app stores. I'm running the latest firmware according to the app, but I can't even see what version that actually is, just that it's "up to date." What am I missing?

(Reposted from community.ui.com as this looks more like the right place.)

• @Jesse-C You will have to tap on the router's icon within the app to get to these settings.

• @Jesse-C said in Missing settings and web interface for AmpliFi HD Router:

All I can see in the app myself are some general things, mostly information and display settings and nothing for the network configuration.

Is your HD setup as a router, or in 3rd party extender mode? Which option do you remember selecting during setup? This article explains how to add devices in 3rd party mode, if it was configured this way the settings you are looking for would not be available and you will want to reset your AmpliFi and set it up as primary.

• @UI-AmpliFi That's it! It's in 3rd party extender mode. I have a 3rd party modem/router combo for internet access and a few AmpliFi devices as access points including this one. I didn't realize it'd keep so much locked down (e.g. no option for routing on the ethernet side, no web interface) but for my purposes this should be OK. Thanks.

• @Jesse-C any reason why you don't not have your AmpliFi devices work in bridge mode instead?

• @Ali-Hadi Wait, what's the difference between the 3rd party setup and the bridge mode setup? In both cases it sounds like another router is doing the actual routing on the network, most router features on the HD are unavailable and it acts like an access point, right? I've read through both those pages but I feel like I'm still missing something.

Thanks for your help!

• @Jesse-C I am not entirely sure to be honest with you as I have never used the AmpliFi in a third party setup but I have always had the feeling that you won't be able to mesh all your AmpliFi devices up in one network if used in that mode. I might be mistaken though and some of the support team might be able to shed more light on the subject.

• what's the difference between the 3rd party setup and the bridge mode setup?

Hi @Jesse-C - Bridge mode uses an Ethernet connection back to the main router, you can add additional standalone devices as mesh points to the bridged router, and the Guest network is available

3rd Party Extender mode uses a WiFi connection back to the main router and creates a pseudo-mesh extending the main router's SSID on a per device basis, so you can add more standalone devices as additional extenders, but they will all be managed independently, and Guest access is not available

• @Derek-Saville Thanks for the clarification. I have been playing with this and also noticed that you are unable to access the router remotely if setup in 3rd party extender mode (which is understandable as it is merely repeating the signal of the original router). Do you know if the AmpliFi can handle captive portals for public wifi sources like in hotels when used in this mode?

• @Derek-Saville and @Ali-Hadi thank you both, that clarifies things for my setup. I'm relying on the pseudo-mesh from my 3rd party wifi router so it sounds like I won't be able to use bridge mode unless I switch to a hardwired ethernet to that router. Maybe in the long run I'll switch to a fully-AmpliFi managed setup though.