Running two Aliens as Mesh Wifi 6 slower than Wifi 5

• I just got my units setup but it appears my iphone 11 Pro Max Wifi 6 radio is running slower than my laptop which has wifi 5. On my laptop im getting 600mb+ down wifi speed test on iphone 200mb speed? Any ideas why Wifi 6 is running slower than 5 and what i can do.,

• I don't have an answer, but I do have a few questions that might help others answer:

• Ethernet or WiFi backhaul?

• Are you physically in the same location when using your iPhone vs. your laptop?

• Do you have the iPhone in Airplane mode (requiring it to use the WiFi network)?

• How far apart are your two Aliens, and which of the two are you closer to when doing your testing?

Thanks so much

• @jsrnephdoc

Ethernet or WiFi backhaul? Wifi Mesh

Are you physically in the same location when using your iPhone vs. your laptop? Yes

Do you have the iPhone in Airplane mode (requiring it to use the WiFi network)? No not sure what you mean

How far apart are your two Aliens, and which of the two are you closer to when doing your testing? Alien 1 downstairs alien 2 second floor.

It appears many having this issue

• @daveciccone , for now I just have the one Alien. I'm hoping for good reports from others like you who are using WiFi for the backhaul before committing to purchasing the second unit. I did Not want the Mesh-Point-Only unit, because I wanted the 4-port gigabit switch on both units.

You should be able to use Wi Fi calling with your iPhone in Airplane Mode, which of course will require it to use your router rather than the cellular network. However, there are apparently WiFi calling issues as well, and, having discovered that, I tested WiFi calling between my own iPhone 11 Pro and my spouse's iPhone X, with both phones in Airplane Mode and WiFi Calling enabled in settings.

Although when I do this I see the WiFi Chevron and Airplane Mode icons in the upper left corner of my phone's screen, when I try making a call, a dialog appears saying "No Network Connection: Connect to a Wi-Fi network or disable airplane mode to place a call."

I have WiFi calling turned on; Settings also says I'm connected to my WiFi router, and the Alien router shows that connection as well. I can browse the web and send/receive email from the phone.

My wife's iPhone X, configured the same way, can make and receive calls via WiFi calling.

Weird. I'm waiting for a callback from my mobile provider (T-Mobile).

• @jsrnephdoc I never said I had issues with Wi-Fi calling.

• @David-Ciccone

Sorry. It was not my intention to "riff" off your issue. I speculated that perhaps there was a configuration issue; i.e., that perhaps your phone DL rate might be based on cell data rather than transit through your Alien router, and mentioned my own issue just to illustrate how cell networks and ISP cable networks, and their independent interactions with home-based routers all cloud "simple" measurements such as speedtest.net DL scores, as well as the circumstances in which phone calls may be routed over WiFi routers and the internet rather than exclusively over the cell carrier's infrastructure.

In my case today, 1st and 2nd level support engineers at T-Mobile were unable to sort out why my spouse could make/receive WiFi calls on her iPhone X, but I could not on my iPhone 11 Pro. Ultimately, they routed me to an Apple support engineer who was able to rectify the problem (she speculated that cycling multiple "settings" parameters, including 2 network resets and two reboots of the phone, may have cleared the issue that was stymying me.

• @daveciccone Can you send us a support file??