Mesh points / Range extenders

• Hi,
    What range extenders or Mesh points can be connected to the Alien for best reception?
    Or how can I extend the reach of the signal from a single router without buying two additional routers but using smaller units instead?

• @K-N-Shanit The AmpliFi Alien can be paired with another AmpliFi Alien to create a larger area of coverage. Please see our compatibility guide to make sure the devices will work: https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/235807288-Which-AmpliFi-model-is-best-for-my-home-

• @UI-AmpliFi
    Can I purchase mesh points instead of another router?
    Sadly the router+mesh point bundle was not on sale.

• @K-N-Shanit We do not make the Alien MeshPoint in a stand-alone product, it only comes in the kit at this time.

• @UI-AmpliFi
    In which case, apart from buying two more routers, which can be very expensive, how can I extend the coverage?
    Can third party extenders be used?
    Should I opt for returning the Alien and getting AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System instead?

• @K-N-Shanit You would have to ask the manufacturer if they support 802.11ax then it should work. As far as the HD mesh system you will certainly take a loss in performance as far as speeds.

• @UI-AmpliFi
    Wouldn't I lose performance if I was to connect 3rd party extenders too?
    Where would I lose the most performance?

• @K-N-Shanit At least with the third party extender you still will have the ability to be connected on 802.11AX and that will perform better than the HD's 802.11AC.

• @UI-AmpliFi
    Are there no Ubiquiti 802.11AX extenders that could connect instead of purchasing 3rd party accessories?

• Hey
    I currently have a Netgear EX8000 Nighthawk extender connected to my Alien and it works ok but it doesn't support wifi6. I had it before purchasing the Alien and wanted to use it to connect my Xbox and another device via the network ports and it really does the job well but if your reason to purchase an Alien was for 802.11AX then this might not be the best thing to do as you will take a performance hit. Not only because it doesn't support wifi6 but also because being an extender, the speed is degraded because of how extenders work, unlike a mesh point. I just ordered a 2nd Alien because I'd like better signal speed and strength and hoping it will be strong enough to be used in my back deck. Hope that helped a little!

• @Glenn-Davis
    Thank you for your comments.
    Ideally, we would buy the mesh points instead of an extra router.
    Switching between extenders while moving about the house, isn't ideal, and I would have loved to be able to roam freely in one mesh system.
    I hope mesh points will be sold independently, or at least the router+point bundle would be offered in Canada.

• Sure, I understand. For me, it took a while before pulling the trigger on getting a 2nd router but when Convid hit here, my whole family was stuck in the house so I wanted the best and most reliable coverage and this checked all the boxes. I don't like that the Alien mesh points are permanently binded to the router so for an extra $54 +/-, I went for another router with full functionality, that gorgeous HD screen, and not being permanently tied to a router. I've read it's pretty simple adding an additional router to an existing Alien system, it seems to automatically set it up as a mesh point when choosing that option so seems like a win win. That's what I'm doing .. just waiting for it to arrive.

• @Glenn-Davis said in Mesh points / Range extenders:

I don't like that the Alien mesh points are permanently binded to the router so for an extra $54 +/-, I went for another router with full functionality, that gorgeous HD screen, and not being permanently tied to a router. I've read it's pretty simple adding an additional router to an existing Alien system, it seems to automatically set it up as a mesh point when choosing that option so seems like a win win. That's what I'm doing .. just waiting for it to arrive.

Please post your findings once it's set up. Even better would be some assessment of how well the "extender" or RAMP works as an Ethernet switch locally with the devices the switch feeds getting their internet access over the Alien Mesh Wi-Fi.

• @K-N-Shanit yes, it’s another Alien. That is, the only extender option.