Ability to configure the radio settings for the second AmpliFi Alien

• I have two AmpliFi Aliens, the second one is configured as wireless access point with an Ethernet Backbone to the first. I can't figure out how to configure the radio settings of the second wireless access point, is there a hidden screen I am not finding?

I configured the radio on the primary Alien this way (Wireless/Advanced screen):

• 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios auto channel selection turned off
    • 2.4GHz channel set to Channel 1, Bandwidth of 20MHz
    • 5GHz channel set to Channel 36, Bandwidth of 40MHz

When I click on the icon for the secondary Alien, there is no Wireless menu option.

I noticed that the second Alien is operating with its WiFi set to 80MHz. I was able to determine this by looking at the extended wireless information using a MacBook Pro (hold down option key while clicking on the WiFi menu icon). It is operating on Channel 153 with 80MHz bandwidth.

The expected behavior is that I should be able to control the radio settings of the second Alien.

Thanks!

• I had an in-app chat with a customer service representative earlier today.

Unfortunately he informed me that currently there is no way to set the radio settings for the AmpliFi Alien in bridge mode. He explained that it is picking settings intended to avoid interference with the primary router, which I had expected.

I mentioned that auto-selecting a channel makes sense, but selecting a radio operating mode that is different than the user-selected setting on the primary router doesn't seem to make any sense.

The agent agreed to submit my suggestion as a feature request.

If you agree, please be sure and up-vote this thread.

Thanks!

Greg

• @gburlingame The primary router allows for the customization of advanced wireless settings like width and channel per band, but the MeshPoint is all automatic and cannot be changed using the mobile app. It will base its selections off of an environment scan for the least interference possible.

• @UI-AmpliFi Thank you! I think my post and your post happened at the same moment in time. I'm glad to get a consistent message from the support team. 👍

Have a great day and stay safe!

• Hi @UI-AmpliFi - on Alien we still cannot manually customize the channel selection of the Wi-Fi 6 upper 5.8 GHz band for the router or mesh points correct?

Only customization of the Wi-Fi 5 lower 5.2 GHz band along with the 2.4 GHz band is still currently possible?

Is there a timeframe for access to the 5.8 GHz channel settings?

• @UI-AmpliFi I wonder if you have the ability to move this thread over to the Suggestions forum since that is what it has become? I thought I was missing something which is why I posted it here -- but now it has turned into a feature request. I could change the title of this thread to read like a feature request.

• @gburlingame I have moved it to accommodate the feature requests.