Firmware Update?

• I've been checking in daily since last Tuesday, and my Alien still says my Firmware is up to date at version 3.4.0. The release information said it might take "up to" a week for the distribution to reach everyone; that window ends tomorrow.

When Apple releases new software to a huge installed base, sometimes it takes 12-24 hours for it to be made universally available, but never a week. Can someone fill me in on what I should expect here?

Thanks so much,

• @jsrnephdoc With an infinite combination of unique home network setups, we realize that not every potential issue or bug can be caught during our beta phase. For this reason, we roll out gradually and if a major unforeseen issue is caught, we can pause the rollout, fix the issue and continue releasing. If all devices get the update within 24 hours and there is an issue, it could be devastating for most users.

If you ever want to "Skip" the line and update on day one, you can use the WebUI and enroll in beta firmware. The last beta release is converted directly into the public release, so by enrolling in beta you are essentially updating to the public release. If you do not want to test beta firmware, be sure to only enable this feature once a public firmware has been released, and disable the option once you have updated.

• @UI-AmpliFi said in Firmware Update?:

If you ever want to "Skip" the line and update on day one, you can use the WebUI and enroll in beta firmware. The last beta release is converted directly into the public release, so by enrolling in beta you are essentially updating to the public release. If you do not want to test beta firmware, be sure to only enable this feature once a public firmware has been released, and disable the option once you have updated.

I don't mean to be presumptuous, but if the reason that your rollout of released software is gradual because you don't have confidence yet in the software, are expecting more bugs to be uncovered by the public release, so pause and resume the rollout during the first week or two after public release, are your customers aware of that? Would it not be preferable to make an announcement that you're suspending release temporarily?

Also, I've read posts from others that the build number of the final public beta is the same as the release build. Does the public beta remain available after the commercial release version is being propagated at a measured pace to your customers? I ask this because I would assume that once a build qualifies as the commercial release it would be pulled from general availability as a public beta.

Thanks so much.

• @UI-AmpliFi I don't mean to bug you, but I'm still curious about a few things:

• Since 3.4.1 release was now about 10 days ago, release is said to take "up to a week," and I'm still on 3.4, does that mean that bugs were found that justified pausing the distribution, or is it possible that it won't propagate to me unless I retrieve it manually through the beta program?

• If I download 3.4.1rc2 (apparently the Golden Master) manually and encounter problems after I install it manually, is it difficult to revert to the previous release?

Thanks so much,

• Hi @UI-AmpliFi - has the outage of the AmpliFi cloud over the last few days affected the roll out of the firmware?

Does the roll out need to be repeated for units that did not get the notification?

If the roll out was paused and then resumed, can you confirm what % you are currently on?

• @Derek-Saville any news on this?

• Hi @René-Guitar - an update was posted by @UI-AmpliFi here... https://community.amplifi.com/topic/3554/amplifi-alien-firmware-v3-4-1/100

We are still rolling out the firmware, but have paused it to research an issue that was reported after the initial launch that was not found during beta testing. We will update the thread once it has been resumed, and if you would like to force the update, you can enable beta firmware in the WebUI.

• @UI-AmpliFi You might want to mention that to the UI team, as they crashed every user they have forcing updates on to their routers, ignoring the users disabling auto-updates. Mine was down for a week, because I was out of town when they pulled the pin. What a mess.