AmpliFi Instant: Do both units have WiFi? and other pre-sales questions

• Hi,
    I want to set up a simple WiFi mesh network in my home. I have a bedroom in the front of the house and a bedroom in back of the house. I have Cat5e cable between the two rooms.

I would like one WiFi AP in each room. I have an AT&T router and have shut off its wifi already. I have two wifi APs by other brands but my family doesn't like manually switching all the time.

If I get the Amplifi Instant Kit, do I get wifi on both the router and the MeshPoint? The ads don't mention wifi on both units so I want to make sure.

Can I replace my AT&T router with the Amplifi router? ...I have AT&T 100Mb optical, and I have an optical-to-ethernet device from them, but I suppose the router has to have a login to AT&T as well, so I don't know if it will work.

If I use the Amplifi Instant router as a router, would I be able to punch a hole in the network for, say, ssh access into my house?

How much functionality is lost because I have Amplifi Instant vs say, your garden variety Netgear router? I like its price point but I don't know if it's super-dumbed down vs say my Netgear WNDR3700v3. I don't use a lot of fancy features but I do like to open up a port, for example. And I do need to modify my DHCP settings, make some of the DHCP addresses allocated to certain devices.

Thanks.

• @GreyGnome said in AmpliFi Instant: Do both units have WiFi? and other pre-sales questions:

If I get the Amplifi Instant Kit, do I get wifi on both the router and the MeshPoint?

Each device will provide WiFi, and if you have Cat5e cable between the two rooms them each will have a direct hardwire source instead of a wireless backhaul (no wireless degradation)

Can I replace my AT&T router with the Amplifi router? ...I have AT&T 100Mb optical, and I have an optical-to-ethernet device from them, but I suppose the router has to have a login to AT&T as well, so I don't know if it will work.

You will still need their equipment for the optical to ethernet, but you may be able to completely remove their router depending on your service with ATT. This would be a question to direct to them. If you cannot remove their router, either their router or AmpliFi should be placed into Bridge Mode

If I use the Amplifi Instant router as a router, would I be able to punch a hole in the network for, say, ssh access into my house?

AmpliFi does not have SSH capabilities available

How much functionality is lost because I have Amplifi Instant vs say, your garden variety Netgear router? I like its price point but I don't know if it's super-dumbed down vs say my Netgear WNDR3700v3. I don't use a lot of fancy features but I do like to open up a port, for example. And I do need to modify my DHCP settings, make some of the DHCP addresses allocated to certain devices.

Functionality wise, the AmpliFi Instant will have the same features as the AmpliFi HD. The difference is performance. The Instant being our entry level model is a 2x2 antenna compared to the HD router which is a 3x3. Also the processing power of the HD product is greater than the Instant. If you would like the two wired router option, but want more power, you can purchase two HD stand alone routers and mesh them together instead of the HD kit or Instant kit.

• Thanks for the reply.

One more question: I don't need ssh, I just need to open a port on the outside and direct traffic to a device inside... TCP port forwarding, specifically, is what I'm asking about.

Thanks.

• @GreyGnome Yes, you can open up specific ports for specific devices as described. Port Forwarding