Will I get gigabit speeds with Alien? And can I use Aplifi HD Meshpoints with Alien?

• Two questions.

I just upgraded my internet to Gigabit, and to my disappointment it appears that AmpliFi HD simply can't hit gigabit speeds over wifi (it's fine hardwired though).

So I just want to confirm, can you get gigabit speeds with Alien?

And then can I still used my Amplifi HD Mesh points (I know they will be slower, but they're mostly used for Ring Cameras)?

And if not, Does anyone have a good idea of how the square footage that Alien can cover? 2000+sqft?

Thanks!

• @thenadamgoes said in Will I get gigabit speeds with Alien? And can I use Aplifi HD Meshpoints with Alien?:

So I just want to confirm, can you get gigabit speeds with Alien?

Achieving gig speeds wirelessly is theoretically possible, but in practicality and application you more than likely will not achieve full gig wirelessly.

Unbox Therapy released a review of the Alien testing multiple WiFi-6 mobile phones. Every environment and devices used vary, which also will impact your actual speed.

And then can I still used my Amplifi HD Mesh points (I know they will be slower, but they're mostly used for Ring Cameras)?

No, The AmpliFi HD product line is not interchangeable with the Alien. You would need additional Alien routers to expand the mesh network. Every home environment is different, I personally use one and it covers a 2100 sq. ft house and my router resides in the basement in a far corner.

• Thanks for all the info!

My main issue right now is my laptops. I have two Macbook Pros (2015, and 2020) And both top out at about 300mbs wirelessly. But both easily get 900mbs wired.

I know there are a lot of factors going into sending that much data wirelessly. But I guess my hope is to at least get up to like 600mbs.

Mostly because I just paid to upgrade my internet...and it's not any faster on the laptops.

And thanks for the indo on the mesh points. If the Alien can at least cover 2000sqft I should be able to move it to hit all the ring cameras.

• @thenadamgoes When I had Verizon Fios gig service I got around 500+ on my iOS devices and 500-700 on my MacBook Pro with my Alien. But depending upon what you’re using to check speeds, such as the Speedtest app, and what server you’re connecting to with it, that will vary significantly.

• I have posted a bit about how to optimize your connect, and have spend a lot of time testing, and bench marking. You can get a consistent 500-650 most likely, it is really going to depend on a LOT like the number and density of other WiFi systems in your area, how it is wired, configured, and so on. I just posted tonight more tips for a guy. One big tip for you, eliminate any old 2.4 Ghz devices, that are not AX, that will surely drag performance down. Check my other posts, and see if that helps. Read this article, which will explain why. Remember, that speedtest, either he one built in, or any third party service, cannot always be accurate due to a lot of factors. However, a local network test, or file copy exercise will get you a decent idea. I have been in and out of computer business since 90's and this is the best router I have seen yet, still some work to do, but it will get there.

My wifi Mesh Speeds in my own testing are better than the Wired 1gb Cat5e speeds, testing around 950 on wired, and 1200 on wireless. I'm testing it all.
    Good article I found online.
    https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi6