Can a meshpoint forward through a standalone router added into a kit ?

• Hey there

I'd like to set up a mesh system for a friend and I'm wondering if I can do this with an Instant kit (AFI-INS) and and additional Instant standalone router (AFI-INS-R).

Her cable modem is in her front room, so that's where the router from the kit would go.

There's a wired backhaul from her front room to her backroom and that's where I'd want to add the standalone AFI-INS-R (need the additional Ethernet port there for wired devices)

Behind her backroom is an addition to the house where I'd want to place the MeshPoint from the kit, as there's no wired backhaul going to this room but I could use the single Ethernet port on the MeshPoint for a wired client.

So, it should go something like:

[router from kit] - <wired backhaul> - [standalone AFI-INS-R as meshpoint] - <wireless hop> - [MeshPoint from kit]

My question is whether the MeshPoint from the kit can communicate with and hop through a standalone AFI-INS-R, so long as the router from the kit is being used as the primary router or if the fact that the MeshPoint is "hardcoded" to the router means it can literally only communicate with the router from the kit and not through any additional standalone devices: the addition to the house is too far from the frontroom, so the MeshPoint in it would really need to communicate with a meshpoint in the backroom.

If the MeshPoint from the kit can't hop through an added standalone AFI-INS-R, I'm assuming I could just buy three AFI-INS-Rs and just set two up as meshpoints ?

Thanks in advance !

• @TraePalmer said in Can a meshpoint forward through a standalone router added into a kit ?:

My question is whether the MeshPoint from the kit can communicate with and hop through a standalone AFI-INS-R

Yes, with AmpliFi mesh, any point can communicate to any point when needed. The system will auto select the best route for the traffic and where it connects. The hardcoding is merely for simplicity in configuring initially and any time a factory reset may be needed, it will not limit nor hinder the configuration when using multiple stand alone devices with a kit.

• @UI-AmpliFi Sounds great! Thank you, again 🙂