Dreading the transition from Airport network in HomeKit connected home

• I'm awaiting arrival of my Alien Router + Mesh Point. Looking for some pointers, tips, guides for a smooth setup in a home with lots of HomeKit devices (wired & wireless).

Some of my devices only connect to 2.4 ghz so my concern is to make sure my configuration allows for those devices to automatically connect to the correct network and not be directed to the 5 ghz.

I'm hoping for a smooth changeover from my Airport network but it seems there is no getting around removing and re-adding devices to the Home app. I hoping it doesn't take all day.

• @mistergsf
    I replaced my old "tower" AirPort Extreme with Amplify HD about a year ago. I simply turned off the old router, then turned on the new one and created the wi-fi network with the same name and password. All my HomeKit devices joined the new network right away

I never separated wi-fi network to 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and all devices I tried worked fine. 2.4/5 bands issues with IoT is a myth based on shitty routers experience. Neither AirPort nor Amplify require any special setup for IoT

There are some wi-fi devices that are just have crappy, unstable and incompatible wi-fi stack but they tend to glitch with all routers

• @Timofey-K I’m tempted to do the same, keep the same wifi name and password, but my brother told me I should really have a stronger password. I’ve been using the same 8-characters password for so long and just too lazy to change it.

It’s ironic cause I’m all about creating secure passwords for everything else but my wifi password is pretty weak. I thought now is as good a time as any to change it. It’s been the same password for about 15 years.

• @mistergsf
    Yeah, if you want to “upgrade” your password you’d need to update every HomeKit device

It probably wouldn’t be too bad - some of the devices I use have dedicated functionality to update wifi config without resetting them