Purchasing additional Amplifi Alien MeshPoints

• AmpliFi Alien Router and MeshPointIs it possible to buy/add additional Amplifi Alien MeshPoints beyond the single Meshpoint that comes with the
    AmpliFi Alien Router and MeshPoint set? if so how? from where?

• @Jon-Ludford The Alien mesh point is not sold separately, only within the Alien kit priced $699 on the AmpliFi store. The Alien router however can be added to another Alien router to create a mesh network, with each Alien router at $379.
    The biggest difference between buying the kit vs two Alien routers, and the $60 savings, is because the mesh point does not have the LCD screen display, nor the 4 port LAN switch on the back. Some users for this reason, prefer two stand alone Alien router.

• I had the same question as Jon - and I see your reply. Quick followup question.
    I bought the Alien Router + Mesh and I now want to add another Router. Do I just buy the single Router package or is there some sort of compatibility configuration that is required? I see that there appears to be a 2 router 1 mesh kit. So, do I need to return and start over? If I can just buy another stand alone router and just add it into our existing configuration does it also work with the Mesh I now have? Meaning will the mesh receive and boost the signal from either router?

I have a 100-year-old three-story home with tons of plaster walls - so far - the Alien unit is AWESOME. But I am seeing a steep fall off in signal so I plan to put a router on floor one and floor 3 and the Mesh on floor two. Just wanting to know if the mesh will interact with both units or only the one it came in the box with?

• @Peter-Long said in Purchasing additional Amplifi Alien MeshPoints:

Do I just buy the single Router package or is there some sort of compatibility configuration that is required?

Yes, a AmpliFi Alien stand alone router will work with your existing Alien mesh kit.

If I can just buy another stand alone router and just add it into our existing configuration does it also work with the Mesh I now have?

Yes, the router will act as a MeshPoint to the primary Alien router and can receive its signal from the other MeshPoint or router depending on your house layout and configuration.

• Do I just buy the single Router package or is there some sort of compatibility configuration that is required?

Hi @Peter-Long - you can only add standalone Alien routers to an existing Alien mesh...
    (i.e. https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-alien)

...do I need to return and start over?

No, but in case you are not aware, the Alien Router + Meshpoint kit that you already have has some restrictions...

• only one kit is allowed per mesh
    • the router from the kit always must be the primary router of your mesh
    • the meshpoint from the kit is hard coded (locked) to the router and cannot be separated

...so if the kit's router ever dies, the meshpoint dies with it - you will not be able to use it with any other router or installation

For this reason, if you are going to be using 3 or more access points in a mesh, many people consider going with all standalone routers instead of using the kit as the basis

If I can just buy another stand alone router and just add it into our existing configuration does it also work with the Mesh I now have? Meaning will the mesh receive and boost the signal from either router?

Yes, but note that you can only add a standalone Alien router to an Alien mesh - you cannot combine Alien and HD or Instant routers

Just wanting to know if the mesh will interact with both units or only the one it came in the box with?

Yes, it will interact with both units (the router and the meshpoint) from the kit