Netflix Doesn't Work


  • Hello,

    Just got a single AmpliFi HD hooked up a week ago, replacing an ancient Linksys router. Most things work work fine, both wired and wireless, including multiplayer games and video streaming via Amazon Prime, Hulu and Youtube. Netflix is the main exception and does not work on wired devices (like an Xbox One, nor wireless ones like a Roku, Kindle Fires, etc ...).

    Setup: Cable internet modem -> Amplifi HD -> Rest of network (wired and wireless).
    AmpliFi HD: Firmware: 3.4.2; Software Rev: 0-g75936635b9; Hardware Rev: 21

    Troubleshooting (thus far):

    • I've hard powered down the modem, the router and devices trying to stream netflix.
    • I've tried reinstalling Netflix on two devices (and clearing cookies via netflix.com/clearcookies).
    • My Xbox One is wired directly into the AmpliFi HD and is what we mainly use for watching Netflix. If I connect the Xbox One directly into the modem (bypassing the AmpliFi), Netflix again works without any problem.
    • From within the AmpliFi app, I adjusted the QoS setting for the Roku (wireless) but as expected Netflix still doesn't work.
    • I do not use Netflix's 4K streaming service / titles.
    • I've tried searching here for Netflix specific issues but nothing seems to describe my experience. Apologies if I've missed a previous post covering this issue.
    • I tried Ubiquti's "24/7" support chat but that was just a chat bot, live support was unavailable.

    Anyone have any ideas? Aside from returning the AmpliFi HD and/or cancelling Netflix? I've focused on getting Netflix working on the wired Xbox One since that takes the extra complications with wireless out of the picture. Seems like the issue is with the Amplifi HD, since Netflix works without it and was working fine with the previous router.


  • @Richard-K Could your problem be caused by a double NAT situation? Try and put either your ISP's router or the AmpliFi in bridge mode and see whether this would help.


  • @Ali-Hadi Thank you very much for the suggestion. I set the AmpliFi in bridge mode and that seemed to clear up Netflix on the xbox. None of my other devices were able to get an IP address when the AmpliFi was configured that way. While setting the AmpliFi to bridge mode isn't a solution by itself, maybe there's something additional I need to do? I also couldn't figure out a way to back that change out (I couldn't access amplifi.lan nor would the AmpliFi app connect), so I ended up factory resetting the AmpliFi.

    I own my cable modem but I don't think I can configure it. It has a web interface that displays its settings but I don't think there's a way to modify any. It's an ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 (it self reports as Vendor Name: Motorola; Model Name: SB6141). I thought it was only a modem and didn't do any routing but it reports the following via its web interface:

    • DHCP Server Enabled
      The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

    If I'm reading that right, I think it's saying it has DHCP but it only kicks on if there's no internet connection to the modem? Maybe the odd connection drop triggers some sort of situation between the AmpliFi and modem that only seems to affect Netflix?


  • Got Netflix working again!

    Resolution:

    • Set the AmpliFi to clone the MAC address of the PC connected via ethernet to the AmpliFi.
    • Enabled IPv6 and set its configuration to 6to4 (in the end, I'm not sure if this is needed).

    Background
    After enabling IPv6, Netflix was partially working in Chrome on my PC. It still didn't work at all on the Xbox. Movies streamed OK but it took a minute for the movie quality to clear up. Profile pictures and movie tiles took a long time to load (usually over 20 seconds). Using Chrome's dev tools, I saw I was getting served content from Netflix servers that were about 700 miles apart (some Netflix servers appear to include a region code in their URLs). This had me wondering what location other websites were correlating with my IP. Which lead me to https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup. Of the 4 results for my IP, 2 had me 700 miles away, 2 had me in the right ballpark. They all correctly identified my ISP.

    Some googling lead me back to these very forums describing similar issues with funky geolocation based on their IP. They also mentioned having the same modem. That's where I got the fix noted above: https://community.amplifi.com/topic/1994/router-requesting-additional-public-ip-addresses


Log in to reply