Ethernet device draining all WAN bandwidth on network

• Hi,

I've been running an Amplifi HD for a couple of years now and it's been working great. I used to have my devices running on wireless, with a single desktop computer attached using ethernet. A while back two more desktop computers were added to the network using an ethernet connection to the Amplifi HD. I've noticed that if one of the desktops is downloading something off the internet (say a large game update) then it will cause performance issues on the other wired devices (such as lag in online games or an increase in buffering when streaming from YouTube etc).

I have 100mbit connection so it's not a bandwidth issue, I think it's more because of lack of proper QoS on the ethernet side of things? Of course, this only happens if the downloading device can peek out my connection, which is usually can on big gaming platforms. I can't find anything in the app to tweak this, and it looks like ethernet QoS is something that's been requested (but ignored) during the entire lifespan of the product.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue? I guess adding something like an EdgeRouter X, into my network, and only use the Amplifi for wireless devices could be one solution? But if it's possible I'd like to mitigate it without adding additional hardware

Thanks for any advice!

/A

• @thecodejunkie
    You are correct in that it is likely a device prioritization/QoS issue. I have the same issue for example: If I'm gaming, and my wife starts a download on her phone via WiFi, my connection suffers/lags/increases latency.

I have requested this for a future update here: https://community.amplifi.com/topic/3728/true-device-prioritization

Please upvote if you'd like to get some more visibility to get this in a future update, quicker!

Cheers!