2nd Amplifi with Backhaul, please confirm that my plan will work

• I'm just looking for confirmation that something will work before I spend any more money. I intend to hook things up as follows:

Internet --> Cable Modem --> HD Router 1 --> Hopeplug-to-Homeplug --> HD Router 2

Note that I have tried extending wirelessly, and the results for one reason to another have been less than spectacular. A wired extension will work a treat in order to give me the WiFi coverage I need. Questions:

1. Please confirm that I will need to configure HD Router 2 as a RAMP (Router as a Mesh Point, described in this Support document).

2. Can I connect a Meshpoint to a RAMP?

3. The compatibility guide suggests that an Amplifi Instant could perform the task of HD Router 2. Can I attach a Meshpoint to an Instant when it is configured as a RAMP?

Informed advice gratefully accepted! Thanks!
    CAW

• One disappointment is likely to come from the HomePlugs. Real world transmission rates are often more than an order of magnitude worse than the claimed 1 or even 2 gigabit per second rates advertised, and there are also problems that arise when one HomePlug is on one leg of the incoming 220 V service and the other on the opposite leg. Real world transmission rates of 10-50 mbits/sec are much more commonly reported.

• @jsrnephdoc two observations:

• I don't have a choice: I live in an old house and I won't tolerate exposed wiring (OK the latter is a choice, but bear with me).
    • I have been using Homeplugs for years, and they work very nicely for me. YMMV.

Also:

"Real world transmission rates are often more than an order of magnitude worse than the claimed 1 or even 2 gigabit per second rates advertised"

You could be writing a review of mesh solutions (which explains precisely my OP). So, thank you for your reply, but I seek answers to my questions as opposed to a critique of my methods. 🙂
    C

• @caw35ubi Yes, I can confirm that your plan will work as you have envisaged on all three points. The only thing that I am unsure of is whether the Mesh Points will connect to your RAMP if they are part of a kit or whether you would need to get the standalone ones for them to work in the way you have described.

• @caw35ubi, in no way was I meaning to disparage your attempts to improve your online experience. I've considered HomePlug solutions myself, because my own option for Ethernet connection between two Alien routers would be limited to the same choices you have.

My son lives in a brand new largish house (about 2800 sq ft including a full furnished basement). His son is a Fortnite (? spelling—I have never been a gamer) wizard. He has 100 mbits/sec service from Spectrum, but his 802.11n router is in the basement. Consequently, there's a cat 5e (fairly well hidden under rugs most of the way) that must be at least 100 ft long running from my grandson's bedroom to the router. We were there visiting last weekend, and I ran speedtest.net tests from my MacBook Pro (situated at a table near my grandson's bedroom) which yielded speeds of 7-8 bits/sec. I think my grandson might disown his dad were not that cable part of the home furnishings.

It wasn't clear to me from your initial post that you were already using HomePlug devices and that you were pleased with their performance. That's the only reason I made those comments, because what I've read about WiFi backhaul between 2 AmpliFi Alien routers; i.e., RAMP, is that it's typically MUCH better than the disappointing performance they get with PowerLine Ethernet.

In my own rented home (2 stories, but a fairly unobstructed path of about 60 feet from the router to my upstairs office), I get 300-400 mbits/sec speedtest.net reports using a single AmpliFi Alien, which is really impressive from my perspective. When working over WiFi from my laptop 10-20 feet from the router, the results are typically 420-450 mbits/sec.

I'm sorry I can't answer your basic question, and again apologies for any unintended snottiness in my initial post.

• @Ali-Hadi thank you. My first Amplifi came as a kit, so I'm pretty sure that I'll have to buy a standalone and use it as my router, then re-deploy the original/kit router as my RAMP.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• My first Amplifi came as a kit, so I'm pretty sure that I'll have to buy a standalone and use it as my router, then re-deploy the original/kit router as my RAMP.

Hi @caw35ubi - unfortunately that is not allowed

The kit router must be the primary router for a mesh (so only one kit is allowed)

A kit cannot be added to another mesh setup

• You know, I guessed at the start that there'd be some dumb config rule that would bump the price up. Let's face it, wouldn't most people considering a RAMP be doing so because the kit doesn't cut it. So why not make sure that the most obvious one-box upgrade results an illegal config? Amplifi devs, I salute you!

After all the hellish bugginess, this straw breaks the camel's back.

Orbi here I come. Good luck everybody!

• @caw35ubi you can just use your AmpliFi Kit as your primary router with its Mesh Points and get a secondary standalone one to use as a RAMP at the furthest point of your property. This is what I do and it works quite well.

• @Ali-Hadi Thanks, but sadly not an option. The problem is that first hop.

I really do have limited choices regarding device placement (I'll spare you the details) and I moved from Orbi with the RBS30 satellite because, although the router had enough grunt, the satellite did not. Now I find myself with the opposite problem with Amplifi, the satellite is has the reach I need but the router lacks power.

The only solution with Amplifi is the one I describe. However, having started with a kit, that would involve me buying 1 x standalone router plus 1 x Mesh Point, while throwing two permanently-paired (but as good as new) kit Mesh Points into the bin. I'm really not prepared to do that. I absolutely abhor waste, and I'm not a big fan of spending money to circumvent dubious design decisions either.

So this this kit-versus-standalone and hard-pairing nonsense is the last straw. I need to face up to the fact that I made a poor choice here, so I am going to do what (of course!) I should have done in the first place, and buy a fatter Orbi satellite (RBS40 or RBS50). Orbi units are as ugly as sin, but I know they work.

Thanks for all of the replies!