wifi speed problem

• Hello, I have two amplifi hd routers in mesh network by ethernet cable, on a connection of vodafone 1gb, by ethernet cable the speed tests give 850/900 Mb, but when I connect by wifi the speed tests do not exceed 400 Mb approximately, In the amplifi configuration my device appears at least 3x3, is there a solution to increase the speed of the wireless connection?

thanks!

• @davidcl82 Had you been using this setup before you got the 1tb connection? If yes, what speeds were you getting?

• @James-Earl-Ford Before we had a 600mb connection and it was when I made the change when I realized that the Wi-Fi connection does not reach that speed, by cable it seems to work correctly, it happens to me from MacBook Pro, iPhone and any device that theoretically can work at that speed over wifi

• @davidcl82 If I read your reply correctly you had not checked the WiFi speeds on the 600mb connection! As a result of your question and not having run a speed test in quite a while, I decided to run speed tests on my environment.

I ran the tests on my AmplifiHD (v3.1.2) over a 400/20 connection from Spectrum using the Speedtest app downloaded on my Mac Mini and on my iPhone 2020 SE. I made sure to change the server used for the tests to the one closest to me. I consistently received speeds slightly above 400/20 with both apps.

I also ran the tests using speedtest.net and speed.us.com using a browser and basically got the same results.

I suggest trying those tools to see what speeds you get.

• With ookla speedtest I get about 400mb via wifi (5ghz network), but if I switch to the wired network I get perfectly to 850/9000_1604179365117_Captura de pantalla 2020-10-31 a las 22.19.57.png

• This normal.
    400Mbps is great for 802.11ac equipment

• @Raka74 said in wifi speed problem:

802.11ac

"This is another bottleneck. If your glorious four antenna 802.11ac router is connecting to your single antenna 802.11ac smartphone then 400Mbps (50MBps) is your theoretical maximum and 200Mbps (25MBps) is the more realistic one."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#5b0e24f13957

• @Raka74 I am using a macbook pro 16 "2020, exceed that speed without problem, I am convinced that the problem is with amplifi hd, but I do not know if there will be a way to solve it

• That cannot be true - I’m pretty sure that the HD will get Gb wired. But WiFi around 400Mb is about the max. (And pretty good for a ac ap / router)

If you really need more - you’ll have to get a ax / Wifi6 device. (Like the alien)

For me personally its not worth it - other than big numbers on screen I don’t see the real advantage in home.

• anyone to get higher speeds over wifi on this router? ☹

• I have continued to carry out tests without being able to solve the problem, I have noticed that the link of the wireless connection between my macbook and the router is correct from what it indicates in the connection information, but it seems that the flow of data is limited by some reason from the router.
    Although the wireless link seems correct, I have not managed to exceed 500mb in any of the speed tests...
    0_1604244468701_Captura de pantalla 2020-11-01 a las 16.26.50.png 0_1604244455819_Captura de pantalla 2020-11-01 a las 16.22.41.png

• @davidcl82 Is this a real problem or one in your mind because you have a 1tb connection? I think you might want to step back and ask, "Am I having a performance real WiFi speed problem, or do I just want to see a speed test that shows me getting close to my 1tb ISP connection on my wireless connection"?

@Raka74 said, "For me personally it's not worth it - other than big numbers on screen I don’t see the real advantage in home." That is a decision that only you can make.

• I am currently paying for a 1GB connection, I would like the device I have to work as it should and if it is a technical limitation then change for another router that if it meets its specifications, for my work I need to download large files and wire my house is not a option.

• @davidcl82 If you are getting close to 1tb on your Macbook why download large files on wireless devices?

• @davidcl82 said in wifi speed problem:

I am currently paying for a 1GB connection, I would like the device I have to work as it should and if it is a technical limitation then change for another router that if it meets its specifications, for my work I need to download large files and wire my house is not a option.

I don't want to download them on mobile devices, I want to do it on the macbook, wirelessly, since I don't have the possibility of taking a network cable to my work area at home. When I have done the tests with cable I have moved the macbook to the router.

• The speed test that I attached in my previous comment is from the macbook via wifi, and the following image is what it shows in the properties of the wireless network, although the link is made via wifi almost at 1gb speed, the speed tests show that does not exceed 500mb in any case

• @davidcl82 You are essentially getting the max performance from your router and your devices. We had Verizon Fios gig service for a few months and our WiFi speeds were in the 500 range up and down. Wired speeds to the router were 800-900. That’s on our Alien router. On mobile devices particularly that’s about all you’re going to get, unless you’re in the perfect environment with few if any nearby competing networks. We live in a condo building with multiple nearby networks.

Your results are typical and nothing to complain about. And as already mentioned pick a server closest to you on the Speedtest app. Using servers farther away will always give you lower results. The automatic pick by the app is frequently one that is much further away. My guess is that if you had an Alien your speeds would be a shade higher but not significantly so. We currently are on Fios 200/200 tier and consistently get 300/300+ but that’s because Fios pads their service a bit so you get higher speeds than your nominal service.

You could pay for triple gig service but your device speeds over WiFi will be the same. You’re dealing with devices that have limitations.

• finally I have not been able to solve it in any way, so I will buy another mesh router that if it meets the characteristics with wifi6 thanks for the help

• @davidcl82 how did you solve it?

• @davidcl82

There is nothing to solve as there is nothing wrong with your amplifi HD. You should not have bought it. If you have a 1gig connection, you should buy a wifi6 router.