Just picked up, Not Impressed

• I just picked up an Amplifi Alien and while the range gets a A+ everything else is extremely disappointing. WiFi performance is sub par a best, I have been screwing around with the settings for 3 hours now and it has made little to no difference. I'm only seeing about 350 Mbps - 400 Mbps on WiFi and have a 1000/1000 connection. My previous Asus RX-58u had better speed over wifi (~500 Mbps) but worse range. I have the router in my office and and testing right next to it, with in 5 ft of me.

4 WiFi channels, really? I have read here that DFS is in the works it seems but how does a WiFi 6 router that costs $379 or $699 as a mesh pair not launch with the other channels? (I'm very sure this is the reason for the poor performance). Other brands have no problem doing this.

No 160 MHz? No ability to specify a IPV6 DNS? Minimal settings at that. Again amazing WiFi range, but this is a overpriced, extremely over engineered bit of hardware with garbage software on top of it. I'm a huge fan of Ubiquiti but this thing is a joke as it stands right now.

• I enabled the Additional 5GHz network and its 150 - 200 Mbps faster on download and upload speed over WiFi then the 5GHz WiFi 6 radio. How can that be? I'm testing using WiFi 6 devices.

• When I first got my Alien, the common 5g band gave me nothing, so I had to turn on the additional 5g channel to use any 5g wireless. I got a replacement Alien and it did the same thing.
    I signed up for the beta testing and that fixed the problem for mine.
    You might want to try the beta firmware and see if it helps.

• @kwd57 I have the latest Beta version on the Alien right now and it really made no difference for me. I think I may be in too congested of an area signal wise and not having much control over the WiFi channels or being able to go to 160 MHz is hurting me.

• I've just bought the Alien and I have a 900Mbps fibre connection and get this running the speed on wired clients. On WiFi I'm only getting 350Mbps on AC clients and 400Mbps on WiFi 6 clients (iPhone 11 Pro Max). Can anyone advise if this is normal as I've bought it to replace an Asus RT-AX88U which has unstable firmware right now but the speeds I got off that over WiFi were 500Mbps AC and 700Mbps on iPhone 11 Pro Max.

• Hi Folks;

I did post a configuration tips article. Once you have it dialed in you can expect 600-750 speeds reliably. Here's my performance history.

0_1606062961972_speedtestnet.png

0_1606062972754_testmynet.png

• @unseenone Thanks. My speeds have been good but I just have a question.

I run my alien with 3 separate networks. All having their own SSID, without using “Additional SSIDs”.

Do you know if there are any differences or benefits or downsides to using 3 separate networks utilizing “Additional SSIDs”?

Is it the same thing? Just curious.

• So they are probably slightly faster as standalone, but crosstalk interference penalties probably
    outweigh the benefits, so I would run as a mesh network. Running the Mesh network with an Ethernet
    Backbone is ideal, and the best performance. The other option is to run the wireless mesh. I would configure
    radios as follows for each, respectively; I have run both Mesh Networks, and Ethernet Backone, the in that order,
    you can see over time, the speed increases as these settings were tweaked.

Once you are setup with the configuration.

1. Setup all your non-WIFI 6 devices, such as older phones, pc's etc. on the YOURALIEN5G AP name.
    2. Setup your WIFI 6 devices, such as New Phones, Tablets and Laptops on "YOURALIEN" AP name
    3. performance test your network, if you have old devices such as roku 2.4 ghz, legacy devices,
      disable all of them, power down and retest your speed. Order new 5Ghz versions. If you have to use them, just
      recognize there is a performance hit, or run a separate wifi router for legacy stuff, so it does not slow down
      your network.

ETHERNET BACKBONE VERSION

TRICK ON BELOW; CONFIGURE EVERYTHING EXCEPT ETHERNET SWITCH FIRST, THEN ENABLE THE ETHERNET OR IT WILL PROBABLY LOCKUP AND REQUIRE RESETTING.
    ETHERNET BACKHAUL PRIMARY MESH UNIT
    ETHERNET BACKBONE "ENABLED"
    COMMON SSID ON NAME "YOURALIEN"
    ADDITIONAL 5GHZ RADIO "YOURALIEN5G"
    5GHZ WI-FI 6 "ENABLED" NAME "YOURALIEN"
    2.4 GHZ WI-FI 6 "ENABLED" NAME"YOURALIEN"
    5GHZ "ENABLED" NAME "YOURALIEN"

ADDITIONAL MESH UNIT
    ETHERNET BACKHAUL TICKED OFF
    NOTHING ADDITIONAL TICKED OFF

MESH BACKBONE VERSION

ETHERNET BACKHAUL PRIMARY MESH UNIT
    ETHERNET BACKBONE "DISABLED"
    COMMON SSID ON NAME "YOURALIEN"
    ADDITIONAL 5GHZ RADIO "YOURALIEN5G"
    5GHZ WI-FI 6 "ENABLED" NAME "YOURALIEN"
    2.4 GHZ WI-FI 6 "ENABLED" NAME"YOURALIEN"
    5GHZ "DISABLED"

ADDITIONAL MESH UNIT
    NOTHING ADDITIONAL TICKED OFF,

• @unseenone Thank you. I’m not using a mesh but otherwise thanks!

• @Ultima_IT what speed test are you using?

• @Seeavling I’ve used Speedtest.net and Fast.com. I’ve returned the unit now as now reverted to the ASUS RT-AX88U and hope they sort firmware out soon as speeds put the Alien to shame and it has DFS and 160Mhz. Thanks for reaching out.

• @Ultima_IT I hate to disagree with you, when that piece of crap worked, it might have been a tiny bit faster, but it was so unreliable after a month of screwing around, I gave up. I couldn't get any decent support. Worst piece of gear I have ever used, and the Alien is the most reliable I have soon. Clearly they have work to do, but having been involved with WiFi, since it was invented, I will say, this is the best piece of gear I have ever used.

Sorry you are not impressed, I wish you revisit at some point when the Asus has rebooted itself randomly after a while.

• @Ultima_IT ah ok. I have the Asus ROG AX11000 along with the Alien. I use the Wifiman App which seem to be pretty good at measuring my speeds.

• @unseenone well I’m getting 750Mbps on the ASUS compared to 400Mbps on the Alien so not a tiny bit faster. All been good so far, but suffice to say I have zero confidence in the Alien to deliver so will certainly not be going back. Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Glad you enjoy yours though and the same to anyone else with the Alien. It just didn’t work for me. 🤷🏻♂

• 0_1606139907614_speedtestnet.png

• @Seeavling Cheers, thanks.