Alien Router Mesh Mode Wiring Question

• I currently own an Alien Router, and I'm happy with it's usability and performance throughout most of our home.

However, there are some dead spots on the other side of my home that it can't reach well. I'm considering buying a 2nd Alien Router and configuring in Mesh mode.

My question is regarding the wired ethernet connections between them in order to setup Mesh mode.

It's my understanding that in Mesh mode, one is configured as router (Alien Router), and other Alien is configured in bridge mode (Alien Bridge). Ideally, Alien Bridge would be connected downstream of Alien Router via wired ethernet. Currently, my Alien Router is downstream of my ISP router via wired ethernet connections, which currently spans across my home. I'd like to put the Alien Router somewhere else in my home (actually closer to my ISP modem).

Based on my understanding, this would result in a quite a bit of wired ethernet connections, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Must Alien Bridge be configured downstream of Alien Router with a wired connection to be effective?

Could 2nd Alien be configured in parallel with Alien Router, creating 2 identical Alien Routers downstream of ISP?

Thanks for any help here.

Matt.

• Your second alien has to be set up as RAMP (router as mesh point) and not as a bridge, and yes, for ethernet backhaul it needs to be dowwnstream of the first alien (and wired to the alien)

• How are your ISP's and the first Alien router configured? Is the ISP router in bridge mode? If it's not, then to avoid a double-NAT situation, your current Alien router would need to be in Bridge mode (or creating a totally different subnet from the ISP's router).

If your current Alien IS in Bridge mode, I don't think you'd be able to create a MESH network using it and a new Alien.

You can create a MESH network without wired backhaul between the two Aliens, but it will not be as speedy as it will be with wired connection to the RAMP device. If spanning that gap with Cat5e or Cat6 cable is not an option, you could also try a pair of Powerline ethernet adapters, but reports of the performance obtainable using those to achieve a wired connection over your home a/c wiring differ by orders of magnitude. Some are ecstatic about how well they work; some are horribly disappointed.

• I have the exact same set up. My second Alien is used as a mesh point via WiFi and the connection is perfect. Good luck.

• @René-Guitar Thanks. I'm curious which setup you are referring to. Are you successfully using Powerline Ethernet adapter to create the MESH network w/o wired backhaul? Or other?

• @granitechief I simply use the integrated WiFi back haul of the Alien.

• @René-Guitar I see, thanks. I'm curious about your wireless backhaul. In MESH mode, payload data would pass between the routers in this setup, and would need a fair amount of wireless BW to be effective. How far apart are they?

• @granitechief You are correct, it is not a dedicated Wifi back haul. But, I don’t feel any difference when on the 5ghz. My isp service is at 400mbps, and I can reach 400 when connected to either unit. The main one is on the first floor, the second one upstair. They are roughly max 45 feet apart, a floor and a wall between them. The signal strength is arround -48 dbm. I am in a quiet ( wifi noise speaking) environnement.

• Hello,

I have this setup. Basically, you need to follow this support page.

Basically. see the note at the bottom: As of the time of writing, the note says: "You must have the RAMP wired to the AmpliFi router directly. This means you cannot have them both connected to a modem/router in the back bone configuration, the RAMP must have a direct connection to the AmpliFi. You can use a switch as long as it is fed by the AmpliFi router. For example modem > AmpliFi router > switch > RAMP will work."