Amplifi HD kit vs 2 Ampifi R vs 2 Asus RT-AC68U

• Hello,

I am looking at updating my wifi system but before I do I want to do a little research first. Right now I have two Asus RT-AC68U routers, one as main router and one as an access point. I have a wired connection between them. The only issue I have with this is that I drop connection when it switches me between routers. When using Wifi calling it drops the call. Would I have this issue with the Amplify HD kit or with 2 Amplifi routers using the hardwired mesh network?

Also, do you lose speed when using a mesh network? Does this slow down wifi? Does it slow down the WAN port? I think I have seen somewhere that it says it cuts the connection speed in half. I currently have GB internet.

Thanks!

• From my experience, you do lose a bit of WiFi speed when using mesh point and you will with every 'hop'. (each mesh point)

If you're looking for more of a solid speed, then I'd opt for the 2 routers and use the ethernet backhaul as you are now - that way there is no degradation of the WiFi signal.

• @chris-dodgson Hey I am really interested into your final decision. I had in mind the exact same thing! getting either two amplifi routers connected by ethernet or getting two RT-ac68u connected by ethernet. For the Asus routers you also get MESH feature now (aiMESH) but I do not recall if at the time of your post this was available. Was the dropout you noticed with Asus aiMESH enabled firmware?

Right now I bought already one amplifi router. Due to the fact that my isp router (Fritzbox) cannot be used as a modem or bridge mode I am forced to use amplifi in bridge mode (to avoid double NAT)! Speed is lower by 5-7Mbps and band steering I personally think is kind of problematic. On top of that, my android device (op3t) behaves a bit weird with amplifi! In a situation where 5Ghz is weak and amplifi does not steer the band to 2.4Ghz, my op3t switches to data!

Let me know what you finally went for.
    Best, Nick

• @nik-fam said in Amplifi HD kit vs 2 Ampifi R vs 2 Asus RT-AC68U:

In a situation where 5Ghz is weak and amplifi does not steer the band to 2.4Ghz, my op3t switches to data!

We never steer to 2.4 GHz. If 5 GHz signal is low, it's your device responsibility to switch back to 2.4 GHz band. If it does not occur, probably 2.4 GHz signal is low too or some interference prevents successful scan. To verify that, you can enable separate SSID in Amplifi App and connect your device to 'your-network-name-2G'.

• @chris-dodgson said in Amplifi HD kit vs 2 Ampifi R vs 2 Asus RT-AC68U:

Would I have this issue with the Amplify HD kit or with 2 Amplifi routers using the hardwired mesh network?

Most probably not. We specifically test our system with Wi-Fi calls. Normally they are fine while walking around and switching automatically between meshpoints. But in reality it depends on setup and environment too.

• @dmitrijs-ivanovs Band steering is supposed to be both ways, am I wrong? In the next room 5Ghz signal is weak but 2.4Ghz is almost full. As I mentioned, sometimes my android device shows the weak wifi signal icon along with an "x" and the data activated.

Similarly when i return to the living room when being connected at 2.4 it will not be steered to 5Ghz on its own.

When I tested (next to the router!) to separate the SSID's I only get the ssid_2G and not the ssid_4G but the original ssid. Both ssid and ssid_2G connect to 2.4Ghz.

I would appreciate your feedback

• @nik-fam Our band steering implementation works only in 2.4 -> 5 GHz direction. The opposite is usually not needed at all.

Band steering kicks in only when your device starts scanning. Before that, we cannot detect its ability to communicate with us in 5 GHz band. Usually mobile devices scan very often.

If you do not see ssid_5G, probably your device is not 5 GHz capable or does not support current 5 GHz channel. For example, this occurs all the time with european versions of Samsung phones when AP is on channel 149. These phones support only lower 5 GHz channels such as 36.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.