Need a new wifi router in small appartment - AmpliFi Instant WiFi mesh router?

• Hi,

I'm looking for a new WIFI router for my parents apartment. The wifi router will be in the middle of the apartment, so longest distance to a device will be approx 5-6 meters.
    I bought a UDM for my own house, and is very satisfied with it and the Android app support, so thinking of same brand for them as I'm then able to make some remote support.
    Only one I can find within their price-range is the AmpliFi Instant WiFi mesh router, but is that good enough?

Thinking of DHCP, VPN and all normal services in a normal router or like my own UDM?

/Kennet

• @kukstern We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and use a single Amplifi HD for our internet, TV and WiFi needs. We can have 15-25 connections for and iMac, 2 Mac Minis, 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 Apple watches, 3 TV's, 2 Echos, and visitors at various times. Our 400/20 Spectrum connection and the HD has worked very well for us.

• @James-Ford Forgot to say that we are Senior Citizens in our 70's.

• @James-Ford , may I ask what Cable Modem you use, and whether it ever creates problems for you?

• The HD model is not quite the same model I'm looking at and is more expensive, but not sure if they have kind of the same specs?

• @jsrnephdoc I have an Arris modem.

• @James-Earl-Ford Thanks for the information. I'm still awaiting the next firmware release for the AmpliFi Alien. With our home LAN "fed" by the Ethernet ports and SSID created by our previously decommissioned Apple 802.11ac Time Capsule instead of the Alien that now sits powered off on my entertainment cabinet, we've had NO internet disconnects for at least three weeks now. The Alien certainly gave us wider coverage, but the stuttering of our entire WAN connection was frequent enough that I may not bother purchasing another branded (non-Intel chipset) cable modem if the stuttering is still present once the firmware is upgraded from 3.4.5 to 3.5.

• @jsrnephdoc I think I will stay away from the Alien, there have just been too many issues. If I make a change I will probably go with the Dream Machine. I installed one for my daughter and it has been rock solid. I do not currently have or envision a need for WiFi 6 as long as we live in this small apartment. Right now the only WiFi 6 device I have is my Mac M1. If I purchase the DM and need WiFi 6, I will purchase a Unifi Lite 6 AP.

• Seems like my post has been hi-jacked a little bit 😉