Welp, now we have 1000Mbps+ ISPs...

• Posed this suggestion back when the Alien was first popping up for reviews, and well, the pandemic hadn't quite landed in full effect yet... I suspect the globe is feeling a bit differently about ISP speeds since that post (also, great timing on deciding to enforce those data caps, Comcast... thanks, mighty **** of ya...).

Case in point, I have a buddy in VERY rural Vermont with Comcast offering him a shiny new 1.2Gbps service which kicked this conversation nonsense off tonight. And you guessed it, that extra 200Mbps over the plateau warrants leased equipment requirements (otherwise they can't "guarantee speeds", whatever that means...). Down here in swampyass Florida we have had 1Gbps coverage for over a year in extremely rural counties with home and business options, and some metro areas can get 2Gbps, At&t Fiber is here too up to 1Gbps, plus Google is testing 1.5Gbps fiber in other areas... Basically down this way, if you can get over 5Mbps DSL, then you can get ludicrous speeds, or you get nothing at all and are stuck on crap-satellite or crap-fixed4G... come on Elon, shoot more Starlink rockets into space already! Now, its not like that everywhere, I get that(again, hurry up Elon!). But this Alien rig is supposed to slay ISP speed options, I mean, just look at it! It looks like Xbox devs designed a hybrid bong-console and should consider bolting it down so it doesn't tear ass across the living room... Just saying, to all the bigbadbandwidth naysayers, its coming... weather you think its necessary or not... why don't you tell me how necessary this fancy Alien is over the old HD unit?

Back to the WAN port speed issue, it still seems unclear on the future of modem handoff standard procedure, but DOCSIS 3.1 isn't excessively new, and doesn't it have a 10Gbps ceiling? For now, its looking like most 1Gbps+ options available are bonding multiple 1GBit ports together in LAG setups instead of packing the unit with a bigger piped port. To me, this sounds almost as much a unicorn configuration as finding a router that supports that feature... Good ol' Netgear has obviously vested in some plans regarding the 1Gbit+ per port direction though, and they are asking quite a few pennies towards a market of tech that I thought was supposed to save you some cash over time vs. leased ISP equipment fees... or maybe there are just a lot of big-spender control-phreaks out there pushing this forward. Whatever, lets do it...

Either way, I may have actually underscored the issue last time I was in here... Heck, a 2.5Gbit WAN port like the Orbi rolls on may not be enough! Go for the gusto Ubiquiti, what's a 10Gbit port run, an extra fifty bucks on the backend? Sounds great, lol! I dunno bout you all, but as pricey as this level of equipment is running these days, I don't mind investing in the good stuff, but I don't want to have to turn around and do it every 18 months... We run a small MSP down here and really love our UBNT gear and shove it down anyone's throats that will listen to us, its great stuff, really... Fantastic value and almost fun to work with, like as a "job"... But right now I am flying near the 1Gbps ISP ceiling on the reg, so once that pops over the hill, I will get to deal with even more double-stacked networks with extra leased equipment nobody wants involved that we are all trying to avoid. Until we can get past this new "bottleneck" somehow, and yes I realize its weird thinking of gigabit as a bottleneck, but we felt that way when we jumped from ten to 100 as well...

So here's the suggestion: Fatter WAN (and maybe LAN too) pipes & obviously WiFi-6E !!!
    The rest is software updates 😳

Just think, soon we will all be sitting on couches in our own homes, watching the Tokyo Olympics on our bargain TCL 8K TVs, yelling about data caps together in these very forums...