AMPLIFY HD SETUP WITH NETCOMM NF18ACV

• I have just purchased an Amplifi HD router and two mesh points .
    I am trying to do some pre- emptive prep before I get it .

I think understand the best way to go is to set the ISP provided modem/router to Bridge mode (although that is far from clear in the set up documentation) and utilize the networking capabilities of the Amplifi HD router and then set up the mesh points.

My ISP has told me how to put the modem/router into Bridge mode.
    They also added that I will have to set up PPPOE on the new router (Amplify HD). This seems to be a new level of complexity in set up not suggested by the User Guide for the Amplify HD which seemed to indicate that setting up with the App all you have to do is set up your WIFI network name and password and the router would do the rest.

I haven't a clue how to setup PPPOE.

I am obviously missing something here as the manual suggests setup will be simple . My hope is that the Amplify HD will get all the information from my existing router for connecting to the internet and I don't have to intervene .

My modem/router is a Netcomm NF18ACV

Please advise

• Hi @M-C - for PPPoE you need your PPPoE Username and PPPoE Password provided by your ISP

You may be able to get this by logging in to to your ISP provided modem/router (note that sometimes the password is hiddent) or it should have been provided by your ISP in an e-mail or account confirmation letter

When you set up the AMpliFi HD Router you will have to select PPPoE as your connection type and enter your Username and Password, then the router will connect to your ISP and establish the internet connection

• @Derek-Saville Thanks very much for your assistance.

Will the user name and password ( I can get those) be sufficient?

I notice in the manual when dealing with the section on PPPoE that there are variables such as Primary DNS , Secondary DNS and a variety of others that can be turned on or off as need be.

Is this also information that I have to ascertain from somewhere in my existing modem/router/ISP and enter or will it be automatically picked up by the Amplify HD router after I put in the user name and password.

Presumably any setting up in this regard takes place after the initial installation with the app.

Thanks again

• Hi @M-C - your PPPoE username and password should be all you need to get up and running and is the only difference in setup from a DHCP installation

The DNS addresses should be automatically configured by the ISP, but many people want to change them so your ISP cannot track you as easily, so they use public DNS servers like 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) or 8.8.8.8 (Google)

Some things to note, if your TV service is provided by your ISP in some cases the AmpliFi routers cannot pass along the channels when using PPPoE - you can get around this by still using your ISP router and placing the AmpliFi in Bridge mode instead

If you have gigabit internet service, the AmpliFi HD cannot handle the speed in PPPoE mode because the Hardware NAT feature is disabled and again, you would need to put the AmpliFi in Bridge mode to around the limitation

• Thanks for your help.

I am not worried about tracking, don't have a TV service from the ISP and don't have a Gigabit internet service so hopefully when i get the Amplify HD tomorrow it will be all simple .

Cheers

• @M-C Hi Derek ( or anyone who may be able to explain for me)

I tried it with my ISP modem router in Bridge mode. After a very long day with the assistance of a two wifi hot spots, a tech guy from the organisation who sold me the kit via email and my ISP via messaging I finally got it working. I preface this story with my knowledge about networking is minimal so if you are kind enough to respond please make it for novices.

As it just wouldn't work for whatever reason ( and we tried a few) I had to restore the ISP modem/router to default, switch off WIFI in the ISP modem/router and turn DHCP on in the AMPLIFI HD router ( I understand now that DHCP distributes IP addresses?) . Bridge mode in the ISP modem router was obviously disabled in this process.

This seems to work fine. However I have read previously in many forums that having two routers connected together without one in bridge is not optimal as it can cause problems with conflicts ? (I guess that would be in both Routers trying to hand out addresses but surely that is not a problem with the WIFI turned off on and nothing connected via ethernet ports to the ISP modem/router?).

What I want to know is whether I will have lost any speed, range, functionality with the setup I ended up with as I have no basis for comparison. If I haven't it will do as it works, however if not I will go back to trying to get the ISP modem/router into Bridge mode.

If it makes a difference to the answer I have absolutely nothing connected to the ISP modem/router via ethernet ports and of course as the WIFI is turned off it is doing nothing but connecting to the internet.

Any information would be much appreciated.

• Hi @M-C - I am not sure why you couldn't get it to work with the your ISP gateway in Bridge mode and your AmpliFi HD in PPPoE mode

If you are using now 2 routers you have what is referred to as a "Double NAT" situation.
    You can find many articles on the internet explaining Double NAT such as...
    https://dongknows.com/double-nat-vs-single-nat/

You do have the option to put the AmpliFi in Bridge mode and it will operate exactly the same for WiFI mesh and Guest access, but lose some features, such as Family Profiles, although the NETCOMM may have the features as well...
    https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/220979347-Enabling-Bridge-Mode

What I want to know is whether I will have lost any speed, range, functionality with the setup I ended up with as I have no basis for comparison.

As long as you have WiFi disabled on the ISP router there should be no loss of speed or range with your setup and you will retain full functionality of the AmpliFi HD router except for those affected by Double NAT, such as Port Forwarding which would require additional steps to setup on your ISP router as well