Why does it show 2 additional SSID

• Hello I just recently added another Amplfi HD and I noticed it is now broadcasting 2 additional SSID's Can I disable those SSID? I cant seem to find the option anywhere.

• @binh-t-nguyen What do you have in your setup besides the new HD system?

• I have the 2nd HD as a mesh point

• @binh-t-nguyen It's important to understand if both of these units are AmpliFi HD kits (router and mesh points) or standalone routers. If it's the latter, you should reset the new router to factory defaults and adopt it as a mesh point for the first router.

The additional SSIDs could also be caused by the separate SSID option in the app. It not only separates the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, but also networks on all your routers and mesh points.

• I bought 2 HD routers they are not mesh points. So, I made one of the HD routers a mesh point. The main HD is in the living room and the 2nd HD is in the garage which is acting as a mesh point. My main HD has seperate SSID 2.4 and 5 now I have a total of 4 which includes the 2nd HD mesh.

• @binh-t-nguyen This is how the current separate SSIDs setting works. We'll be adding a new Express Network feature which lets you keep the normal 2.4/5 GHz single SSID while adding additional ones on specific devices in the mesh.

• @ubnt-gunars sorry, could you please clarify that?

The ideal would be to split 2.4 and 5 on the main router unit, and have other units acting as mesh points that boost the 2.4 and 5 networks. You’d only ever want 2 ssids. Is this what’s coming?

Your reply sounds a little like you’d have a single ssid on the main unit, and more on the mesh point.

• @daniel-woolstencroft The update is addressing a different need than what you've outlined. It's meant for IoT devices which have to stick to a particular mesh point. I'm thinking that the split SSID function should behave as you proposed, not as it does currently. Especially if we do Express Network.

• @daniel-woolstencroft Actually, can you tell me more about why you're using separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands?

• @ubnt-gunars sure! It may be that this is unnecessary, but I’m switching away from a Google WiFi setup and trying to find an alternative.

On google WiFi, devices rarely use the 5ghz band and will fall back to 2.4. This results in slow speeds pretty much everywhere in my house.

So the first thing I did with the Amplifi was split the SSIDs. I should probably merge them again and see if devices favor 5ghz with this router.

I haven’t yet bought a second Amplifi; I wanted to evaluate a single unit first.

Hope that helps?

• @daniel-woolstencroft I'm using only one SSID and all my devices that support 5GHz are using that band. Currently I have 2 routers and 32 devices connected to them.

Never tried Google Wifi, but Amplifi works really fine on the band side.

• @ubnt-gunars I've now done some experiments with the Separate WiFi SSID setting.

In my house, which is a pretty typical UK two storey property, and a centrally located AmpliFi HD router, devices on the edges of the connection default to 2.4ghz. As an example, in my youngest son's bedroom, I get 20mbps.

If I enable the 5ghz dedicated SSID, in the same location, I can achieve 150mbps.

Now obviously the signal strength is weaker, but not to the point where it's losing the connection.

This is the same scenario as Google Wifi, but with the Amplifi I at least have the choice of splitting the SSID.

I'm tempted to pick up a second Amplifi HD router, as I have the option to use an Ethernet backhaul for it. However I would want a single instance of the 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs, and based on your reply to @Binh-T-Nguyen this won't work until you've added Express Network.

Could you confirm? I'll hold off buying a second unit at this point if that's the case.

Thanks!

• @daniel-woolstencroft Hi Daniel! Yes, if you want to sticky some devices to 5 GHz and still keep the single SSID, you'll have to wait for the update. Actually, this made me think we should center the feature around clients, not SSIDs. Make a particular client only use 5 GHz or stick to a particular mesh point or router.

• @ubnt-gunars Absolutely agree. Make it client based, as that seems to be what most are asking for.

The ultimate would be for the new feature to be capable of both. Most of my particular problems would likely go away if I could set both the specific mesh point that I need, as well as the band (choice of either 2.4 GHz, or 5 GHz) for any particular client without the need to add additional SSID's. For example, I have a 2.4 GHz IP camera that insists on connecting with the faraway router. It connects with a very weak signal that forces the camera to disconnect frequently. If I reboot the camera, it always connects to the nearby access point (another Amplifi HD router set to mesh mode with an Ethernet backhaul) and performs perfectly.

That said, if I had to choose, I'd take the ability to assign a specific mesh point to a specific client. At that point, the bands can sort themselves out as they do now when the client is properly connected to the right mesh.

As noted in my previous post, band and router steering settings don't seem to help.

• @ubnt-gunars this sounds awesome actually. Really straightforward.

You could leave a single SSID, have as many mesh points as you like, and just set each device to have a preference for frequency.

Also as @jeffreyh51 says, pinning a device to a mesh could be useful. In my case I’d want the device to use the 5ghz on either mesh (depending on signal strength) but I can see his point.

For me, setting frequency per device would really differentiate Amplifi.

• @UBNT-Gunars @UBNT-Chance With the next update can you make it a feature where it doesn't spam extra SSID from the mesh-points?

• @binh-t-nguyen Hi Binh! Not with the next update, but I would like to do something like this:

1. one universal SSID always present
    2. can add system wide 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID
    3. can add 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID on specific mesh point
    4. can hide/unhide any of the above

What do you think?

Edit: item 3. should include a dual band option as well.

• I also found out from this other thread that if I have Separate SSID turned on and when I roam to different mesh-points it doesn't do a hand-off to my mesh-point. I hope this gets fixed soon. https://community.amplifi.com/topic/76/ability-to-select-2-4g-or-5g-radio-and-roam-across-all-devices-router-mp-s/3

• @ubnt-gunars said in Why does it show 2 additional SSID:

@binh-t-nguyen Hi Binh! Not with the next update, but I would like to do something like this:

1. one universal SSID always present
    2. can add system wide 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID
    3. can add 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID on specific mesh point
    4. can hide/unhide any of the above

What do you think?

My ideal situation would be #2. I have over 40+ IoT connected devices and the majority of the them are on 2.4 I have seperate SSID enabled and when I walk outside of the garage with my phone I should be handed off to the HD meshpoint. When Im outside in the street, I could activate my Apple homekit scene without my weak signal dropping off to my cellular network which causes a bad user experience when I tell Siri to activate a scene.

• @ubnt-gunars , thanks for that update.

In the scenario that you've indicated, would it also be possible to "pin" a specific client (particularly those that don't roam) to a specific (dual band) mesh point or router?

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're noting that one can have 2.4 Or 5 GHz. Does that mean to say not both? In my use case, that would be an issue, as I have many smart home devices that never move, and would enjoy the use of the strongest signal, plus, I need full coverage of both bands. It seems to me that as long as a client can lock on to a specific dual band mesh point, devices that are roaming can have any one of the mesh points sort out the band as it does nicely for me now. I have absolutely no problems while roaming, but as noted previously, my issues arise from clients connecting to the wrong mesh point.

If I'm not understanding what you indicated, feel free to straighten me out.

Thanks.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.