Migration to other Products

• I am very frustrated after 1 year plus of having to reboot everything every 1 -2 days.
    I have and Edgemax ER-12P router that works really well. AmpliFi HD is running in bridge mode, since I have load balanced two separate ISPs and am waiting for a third - StarLink!

I am considering migration to Ubiquiti Unifi or other products and would love to hear people's experience.

• Hi @Harald-Striepe - one possible option to research, and the path I took now that WireGuard is implemented in pfSense Plus (fully replaces Teleport), Netgate + UniFI AP's (because of familiarity and I already have them)

If you use a Netgate SG-1100 as a "starter kit" you can also obtain one year of professional ticket based support for $49 (all other appliances are more expensive) to have a developer answer questions

Between the Netgate forum, online pfSense resources, and the relatively inexpensive professional support, there is a lot of help available to overcome challenges

And HomeKit may create a big challenge, so if that is critical to you, you may just want to find an HomeKit router

You can also roll your own pfSense router if you have some extra hardware laying around, but I personally wanted to start off with Netgate SG-1100 & pfSense Plus for the professional help with WireGuard

And better wireless AP support is on the development roadmap for pfSense Plus as well, so may be at least worth watching to you...

• I decided to go simple and got the Amazon Eero Pro 6. Has decent coverage with the three routers. Not cheap, but fast.
    The next few days will show reliability, which is all I am looking for.

Switch over took all of 5 - 10 min. - except for my outside Leviton switches linked to a Network-2G second SSID, since they needed the 2.4Ghz option to stay connected. They had to be reset and relinked. The pain was that I had to look for instructions an pull the plates to get the HomeKit ID. But the ample signal strength there now made the rest fast and easy.

Not quite the full feature set of the AmpliFi HD, but I am done with the hassle.

• I decided to go simple

Hi @Harald-Striepe - please let us know how well it works out long term

Is the Eero Pro 6 HomeKit certified?
    Or is that still "in progress"?

• Works with HomeKit. But deeper integration is only there, if it is configured as a router. With my Ubiquiti ER 12P router the Eero is in bridge mode. Bridge mode is pretty dumb, just a pipe really. You can set profiles to control devices on WiFi, but it is a little more complicated with devices' IDs without the Eero handling DNS. For a lot of them I have to go by Mac ID, since they only broadcast the SoC chip vendor. If I feel really bored one of these days I might pull a DNS lease list from my router and go through the 70 plus devices in my house. Eero also has Zigby, but I am not using it with Hue since I have Hue Bridges configured. All my HomeKit stuff on the main SSID worked out of the box.
    There is provision for a Guest Network. No secondary SSIDs, which I liked on AmpliFi. And I miss that display already.
    I am using PeakHour on my menubar to track the traffic of the two ISPs piped into my router.
    Once I get StarLan (hopefully by June) bandwidth concerns should be mute. If it is reliable enough for three months, I will stop my current DSL and MicroWave feeds.

• Before everybody is jumping ship better double check the Eero privacy policy: https://eero.com/legal/privacy

• @op2003 Yup, that's amazon for you. Your network infrastructure should NEVER collect and send info on your network to the manufacturer of your hardware, or any third party. Companies should have strict policies on their use of diagnostic dumps, including deleting them once an issue is resolved.

Amplifi, what's your policy on the support files sent to you?

• @Matthew-Leeds personal and account info has to be kept as part of the nature of logging in to a service. Devie info is kept as part of optimization after anonymization. If you are not in bridge mode, this includes the capability to control device profiles with fine-grained control for access for device groups. The system is designed for consumers.
    I have Prime account collecting swaths of buying habits, most other info is secondary.

That being said, it's Amazon.

• The Eero Pro 6 setup has worked in bridge mode without a hiccup. AmpFli HD required four MeshPoints, I am using two additional symmetrical routers in wireless mode to cover the same area with better signal strength.

No sudden slowdowns, no interruptions. The setup was super easy.

That being said I get much less throughput than hoped for. It's always above 120Mbps in the house, but I only get close to the router. BTW, those are my typical ~700Mpbs - 950Mpbs wired speeds, too.

I have not done a survey, but I suspect I do have noise issues in the house that created the issues with the AmpliFI and reduce the throughput of the 3 bad Eero. But the speeds are well above my Internet feed of about 30-40 Mpbs. But before I get StarLink (I am waiting after putting down the deposit) I will have to do more sleuthing.

One should note in the same environment version 2.x of AmpliFi was just as bulletproof.

I miss the design and feature approach of the AmpliFi. And in regards to another poster, I do trust Ubiquiti more than Amazon. I also use the ER 12P router.