Using Ethernet of additional HD router in Mesh network?

• Hopefully a fairly descriptive title....

Is it possible, if I extend my existing HD network by adding another router as part of the Mesh network, to use the Ethernet ports from it?

Basically, I am trying to get decent speed Ethernet into another room and have had mixed results with Powerline systems. I am wondering if the speed from a Mesh network would be better (the room in question is very close to the input unit). I really don't want to have to drill holes etc but wondered if this is possible and how quick the speeds could potentially be? I get around 200Mbps via the Powerline which is ok, but not great....

• Hi @Scott-McKenzie - yes, the Ethernet ports on meshed standalone HD routers are active

Throughput will depend on the wireless link speed back to the main router

The problem you could face is if the RAMP (router as a mesh point) is too close to the main router it may cause interference and problems for wireless clients, so make sure you can return the standalone HD if it doesn't work as well as you expect

• @Derek-Saville thanks very much. Could be an issue then... it would be about 1m away! This was partly why I was interested, I was hoping that it would provide a useful speed bump due to proximity.

• @Derek-Saville said in Using Ethernet of additional HD router in Mesh network?:

The problem you could face is if the RAMP (router as a mesh point) is too close to the main router it may cause interference and problems for wireless clients, so make sure you can return the standalone HD if it doesn't work as well as you expect

Not trying to intrude on another's questions, but mine is related. I currently have one Alien router. I'm moving to a larger (2100 sq ft, single level, new construction (wooden studs, drywall, "open" floorplan home in a few months. If there's signal falloff from one end of the house to the other, I plan to add another Alien as RAMP. The two would be probably be no less than 20 ft apart, no more than 75. I do have star topology ethernet from the cable modem in the garage to the central point where the router will be located, and I'm assuming I can do ethernet backhaul between routers OR wireless MESH backhaul. I'm also guessing that the best connection to devices from the RAMP to clients will be ethernet, and that there probably won't be a whole lot of difference between wired and wireless backhaul. Are those reasonable assumptions?

• Hi @Scott-McKenzie - 1m might be okay if there is a wall in-between with significant signal drop...you never really know until you test it

But if your wireless clients have a strong signal where the RAMP will be then it may be a problem

If you just need a wireless bridge to Ethernet ports you could look into a DD-WRT or OpenWRT solution, but you need to do some research on those forums
    Some routers were implementing it earlier on and there were some issues and it never really caught on, but there may be a particular model that has higher success with faster throughput
    For example see...
    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
    https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bridging

• Hi @jsrnephdoc - I don't personally have any experience meshing multiple Aliens since I have not yet needed the additional coverage, but your assumptions are reasonable other than backhaul since the Alien does not have a dedicated backhaul radio

Using wireless backhaul on the same radio as clients means that meshed access points have to use the same channel by default
    With wired backhaul, not only do you eliminate channel contention of the backhaul data, but the access point are free to use different channels
    The problem has been that AmpliFi does not allow manual selection of the channels on wired Ethernet RAMPs, only the main router
    This has been a long time requested feature, but never implemented

So for AmpliFi it is almost always better to wired Ethernet backhaul whenever possible
    I say almost because there are other issues where Ethernet clients have priority over wireless clients

The US Alien does have a unique option of using the Additional 5GHz Radio in alternative ways, but two strong signals on the same channel is what it is when it comes to physics and how wireless clients, who are actually in change of which SSID they try to connect to, react and behave

I suggest you open a new thread on meshing Aliens and let some of the users with actual meshed Alien experiences provide feedback...